1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you are transgender I need your advice quick!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Random Ross 1, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Okay I am ftm. This is a weird story. Okay since I have OCD and sleep issues, I decided to take catnip (sounds weird, but is actually a good sedative for that kind of stuff). I learned after, that to my horrors, catnip can cause periods. Fuck. How can I make sure I DON'T get one?! Birth control won't work because I'm not old enough to get that without parental permission in my state. My parents are sure not going to give me permission, I'm not even out, but I know from what I've heard from them that they will be really unsupportive. Help I CANNOT get a period I can't even think about it. After that catnip, I think I might have felt cramps but maybe I'm just paranoid but either way please tell me how I can not get periods without any medicines or crap cuz my mom will get really suspicious and I'm not even old enough to drive. HELP

2. Lightsaberpearl

Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm no medical professional- but I'm pretty sure the only healthy and safe way for you to stop periods is to take birth control. Testosterone also makes periods go away but from what understand that's not an option for you (also testosterone therapy is time consuming to get and doesn't magically give you all the effects right away). If you have a safe person to talk to while you're on your period that might help with dysphoria (you could talk to me if you wanted but I'm not always online or I could be low on spoons and therefore not too helpful or chatty). I'm not sure of any other methods to safely stop periods but if you want me to I can post ways I deal with dysphoria. Much love, stay safe :slight_smile:

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly, you cannot prevent periods in a healthy manner without the aid of hormone regulation (e.g. birth control or HRT) or surgeries involved. There are some exceptions of course, such as with intersex or hormonal conditions, or some serious athletes attain such a low bodyfat that they lose their period - but this shouldn't be attempted.

The best advice I can offer you is to either speak with your mother about getting on birth control and explain why this is necessary for you. Sometimes AFAB people use BC just to regulate their hormones if they have irregular or unusually heavy periods. It is worth a shot even if the chance is slim that she will agree with you. If she says yes, it's a huge win. If no, what did it hurt?

Or if your mum is totally obstinate, then you're going to have to learn to deal with the shark weeks. Below I'll give you some home remedies that have worked for me in dealing with this. (Disclaimer: I am not a health professional and while I do strive to provide medically/holistically accurate advice, you should always consult your GP first).

1. Use tampons instead of pads. Less mess, more comfort.

2. If you get cramps, try a ginger tonic. Steep some slices of fresh ginger in a mug of hot water, add honey to taste. Drink up. Ginger has long been known to relieve nausea.

3. Working out or doing yoga is great and can relieve pain.

4. Hot packs on the stomach. Or a hot shower will suffice.

5. If all else fails, try whatever you can to distract yourself. Hunker down with some video games or go on a Netflix binge. Just ride it out.

Best wishes brother.

#3 Kodo, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016