1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Coach is in Jail and I Need to Talk

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lgbtqenjolras, Sep 20, 2016.

1. lgbtqenjolras

I run xc/track and I, like everyone on the team, was super close to our coach. He helped us all through so much, and he was like a friend or parent to us. Yesterday we got called down to a meeting, and we were told he was arrested for sexual assault. They didn't tell us any details at first, and I didn't believe it because I thought that meant he raped someone, and I knew he wouldn't do that. It turns out he was in a relationship with a student, who was over the age of consent but it was still illegal because he was an administrator.

We all cried so much when we found out. I'm so mad that he would do that with full knowledge of what it would do to us. I trusted him so much, and I'm so confused. I just want him back. I feel so bad for the girl to, because she already had mental health issues and most of the school know/suspects it's her. A school board member ran their mouth and now the freshman class and a few sophomores know for sure. He messed up all of our lives but I want him back so bad. I might never be able to see him again.

He goes to court tomorrow. Also, our first meet without him is tomorrow. It's our home meet, he was supposed to be there. I just don't know what to do, he's been in my life for four years and I never imagined him being pulled out of it like this.

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that this is awful. I'm so sorry your coach and mentor made a horrible choice and is now going to pay the price for it.

My only suggestion to you is to realize that a good person can still do something bad. I know from my own experience with a father figure who sexually assaulted a teenage girl. He touched her breast. In the eyes of the law, that's considered sexual assault.

I don't know exactly what your coach did here, and maybe he will deserve his punishment. I'm not in any way justifying his actions or the actions of the person in my life.

Just know that without knowing the real story, it's hard to judge a person.

If you've always known him as a good guy, he probably still is.

The best thing you could do for him now is to try your best and cross the finish line first, if you can.

Good luck!

3. RavenWing

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree.

Sometimes it is hard to realize that good people make terrible mistakes. However, you have to understand that he did something illegal and that he needs to pay the price for what he did, which in this case is jail time.

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey timelord,

I’m sorry you are having to deal with this.

I want to echo Imgay47, good people are still human and they can exercise bad judgment from time to time. And he certainly wasn’t even thinking about what the impact of what he did would be on you and others when he was doing it. That doesn’t make the situation any less bad or upsetting, I know. What I would say to you though, is that one bad act that didn’t even directly involve you, does not suddenly negate all of the good that he has done and the mentorship that he has provided you and others throughout his career.

Take Care.