1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IRS lawsuit?????

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Lightsaberpearl, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Lightsaberpearl

Out Status:
    Some people
    I got voice mail on my phone from Washington, D.C. stating that the IRS was filing a lawsuit against me.

Is this a scam? Should I be concerned? I'm fourteen I really doubt I've done anything to get sued over.

I don't know if I should tell my parents if it's not important because they're stressed out enough as it is

Thanks!

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a total scam. The IRS does not call you to tell you they are filing a lawsuit.

They ONLY send certified letters, and a lawsuit would come from a process server anyway.

Seriously, just totally ignore this bullshit scam.

3. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its a scam...did you try calling back? I got the same voicemail last year and I got very concerned and called the number back and a message came on stating that the number was not a working number or when I got another call ...it just kept ringing with no answer. I then preceded to Google the phone number and I discovered that there were a lot of other people experiencing the same thing and there were comments stating that the number was a scam.

4. Lightsaberpearl

Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay thank you all :slight_smile:

I didn't call the number back because I'm a very anxious paranoid person that freaks out easily, and I also wasn't sure if it was legit or not

Again, thanks for responses :slight_smile:

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, that is a total scam. My friend got the same call about a year ago or so. She totally freaked, but she contacted the actual IRS and then founf out it was a scam.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yeah that's a total scam. The IRS calls me all the time with threatening voicemails saying they're coming after me. I just chuckle. :slight_smile:

7. faustian1

...or just "collectors" calling to tell me a lawsuit has been filed against me. All I need to do is give me my name that they don't know and my social security #.

However, I do live in constant fear that the IRS will find out about all that cash the doctor from Nigeria promised me.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I enjoy playing along with these scammers for. But, tripping them up in their lies, and then asking them how they sleep at night. I've only gotten the 'this is windoes tech support' ones so far but I'd be delighted to get one of the IRS scammers.

9. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Got the Windows tech support guy two nights ago. I kept him on the phone for 30 minutes playing dumb, making him think I'm doing what he's asking me to do on the computer. Yeah, right.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had those guys a few times as well. Most recently, when I cornered him on the fact that I have a Mac instead of a PC, he said "Is this William" (or some random name), to which I replied "Yes." (It's not my name... but I wanted to mess with him), and he then went "Oh, this must be the wrong number" "But I'm William!" (random awkwardeness)...

These guys are such scumbags.

11. faustian1

Radio personality Tom Mabe has some fun with phone solicitors. Here's one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6a-CZMrVAg There are some borderline homophobic remarks at the end, but I think it's pretty funny anyway.

12. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I get calls all the time saying I'm approved for a $250,000 "small" business loan. A college kid with a net worth of less than $30,000. Well that's interesting....

I've gotten calls about car insurance when I was 12. Gee that's totally legit.

Good thing to check though. When notify someone of a lawsuit against them, it's referred to as "getting served" You cannot serve someone through a phone call.

13. logansarah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My grandma got called so many times that my mom had enough and she called them back and threatened to call our attorney (which we don't have) and than she filled something that said to report it in 31 days if they call again. They called later that night and we haven't heard from them again.