1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doctor's office, a safe place?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Kodo, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am thinking I should probably go to the doctor due to the fact that I have worsened depression symptoms and haven't been for a full physical exam in 5+ years. I was always extremely uncomfortable and afraid of going to the doctor for a physical because of dysphoria and physical intimacy issues (don't like being touched, etc).

Now I'm eighteen and have full control, I believe, over medical things. I live in California currently. But I was wondering if it would be a good or bad idea to disclose my trans status with my GP?

A lot of my issues are related to dysphoria and depression, I just don't know how upfront I should be with the doctor. I don't even really know how to interact with a doctor because it's been so long and I was always the cowering child taking signals from my mother on what to say. I should also preface that I have not met this doctor (a man), and for now they said they don't do referrals because he is backed up. There was a woman doctor as a second option but I much prefer male doctors.

Also, is there any chance that my information would be given to my parents? I really can't risk them knowing if I told my GP about being trans...

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At least in Ontario I'm pretty sure once you're legally an adult your doctor can't say stuff like that to your parents without getting fired.

I'd recommend seeing if your GP is on one of those rate my doctor sites and do a bit of online research to get a better idea.

#2 HM03, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to tell you that 5+ years is too long without seeing your doctor. It really does need to be an annual checkup at least. Of course I think you already know that which is why you posted.

Anything you tell your doctor is protected under doctor-patient confidentiality. You should have no worries in telling your doctor anything, and it's especially important that you do tell your doctor everything about you. How else can your doctor treat you correctly?

I'm not trans, so I certainly don't have a real understanding of your dysphoria, but I can imagine how difficult it must be to have a doctor examining and touching your genitals. It should last only a minute, and if your doctor already knows about you, and knows that you don't like to be touched, it will help him treat you as gently as possible and touch you the least amount he needs to.

4. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi Kodo:

I checked online and you are well beyond the age of consent in California so everything is confidential. :slight_smile:

Are you seeing a "regular" physician or a physician educated in transhealth? There are transgender health clinics in CA; going to one of these might help ease some of your anxieties and make it easier for you to be upfront. You could try googling to see if there's one in your community. If that's not feasible, a local LGBT centre most likely has a list of physicians who are educated in transhealth.

I think it's really important that you give the physician a very clear picture of what's going on, particularly about the depression and lack of recent check-ups, and even about your nervousness about being touched. You can write out a list of what you need to say and take it with you. I do this sometimes when I'm concerned that I'm going to forget something. As well, I think it's perfectly reasonable to take someone with you if it helps ease your discomfort.

Hope this helps and I hope your visit goes well. :slight_smile: