1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frustrated by constant rejection in job applying; Had to vent

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BranRan12, Sep 25, 2016.

1. BranRan12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Have been looking for a new job for quite some time now....Kind of dropped the ball for a good while because it would be the same thing (applying and getting the auto thank you for applying but we have decided to responses.) I know the only way to get a new and different job is to keep at it but it's been very discouraging. I am paying a lot of money back monthly in college student loans and have nothing to show for it. I am currently working an hourly wage job and I can't stand it. I am down on myself or have been because I am nowhere where I want to be career wise. I know there are so many others in the same boat but I put on a front like everything is great and fine but it is not. I don't even talk to others about it because I don't want to come off as complaining, so posting it here. Just really want to and need to be more financially stable and in a better job standing. Any advice and encouraging words would be greatly appreciated. Already feeling better some having typed it out.

2. faustian1

In 1992, I had gotten out of school after going back and finishing three (supposedly marketable) degrees. It was a recession (of course). I was working for near minimum wage, as a "temp." The depression was horrible, as I counted the days until bankruptcy.

So by explaining that, you know that I am quite familiar with how you must feel.

I was able to make a bold decision. I took a step backward, found a job more like my old one, that paid pretty well. That stopped bankruptcy fears, but I was still bitter and plenty pissed off. I fully developed a Plan B, and quite by accident actually ended up using my degrees, over six years later.

So here's my question for you: Is there any kind of Plan B? I'd like to know if there are bold things you could consider, that would have a probability of working. If you don't mind, write more about your background.

My experiences in life taught me that the advice one hears about "planning your future" and "building a career" are complete bullshit (of course, others' results may vary). What I did find to be true is that life is like floating in a river full of random opportunities. The key skill to have, is to recognize the opportunities that appear. This dawned on me when I realized that all the great things that happened to me over the years, hadn't been planned. They merely were opportunities that came up, that I was attracted to.

3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps going after a job that's in an area of your interests can at least make the time you're working an hourly wage job more fun and interesting, but can potentially lead to a career in your interest area. I did that many years ago, and the small hourly job I got was enough to pay the bills at the time, but as I grew into jobs above that one, and then in a different company doing some similar work but with more upward potential, I worked my way into a career that now spans 30 years.

I agree that the job you are working now is unfulfilling, and it's because there is no interest there. Faustian was absolutely correct here "What I did find to be true is that life is like floating in a river full of random opportunities." That's exactly what I'm talking about, but adding that you should start by floating towards an area of life that you already like doing.

Let me give you an example: Let's say you really like hiking. You might get a job with a company that sells or makes hiking shoes. While there, you meet other people who hike and you join some hiking groups. While doing that, you learn of a job opportunity in a similar field, or even a different one that hits one of your interest areas. And on and on it goes.

There are lots of ways to go about building a career, but I agree with Faustian that BUILDING A CAREER is a bullshit endeavor. Not that many careers are planned from A to Z. Most are achieved organically as we meander from place to place. My suggestion at least puts you in a place that won't be so boring to you.

I hope that helps you.

4. BranRan12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

As for a Plan B I truly do not have one. I would like to but I am not sure what that would be or how to develop one. I guess if there was any I would say not being opposed to moving elsewhere or to a different area.

My degree was in marketing and have been wearing this hourly job for the past few years now. I hate being pissed off and frustrated about it because though I should be happy I am employed, I a paying a lot back monthly in undergrad loans and credit card debt from college. The are I currently live in there are not a lot of opportunities especially in a marketing field let alone a good business field. And I know that with marketing there are so many different outlets and things but around here there is not much. So I have been looking in relatively close cities since it would be easier to move if an opportunity were to present itself or I got an offer. I'm currently living with family since I cannot afford to live on my own.

As for my background, I worked as an event coordinator not far out from graduating college. I was going to actually get promoted but ended up being a casualty of a company wide drought of lay offs (back when the economy went bad around 2007-2009.) And after that started applying all over since I was running out of loan deferment time and got a call back for an interview 4 days after applying. Now have been doing this hourly, under paid and under appreciated job for 5 years. I continue applying online and sending resumes but I feel all I get are the "thank you for applying" rejection emails and cannot call or email to follow up because no contact info is listed, or they have in bold lettering that if they want to proceed in the hiring process I will be notified.

I obviously cannot be choosy but have been trying to keep at researching and applying online and such but not sure how to go about things differently or follow a new plan..

---------- Post added 27th Sep 2016 at 02:30 PM ----------

Thank you for that response, you and Faustian both are right I have been stuck in such a right for quite awhile I was not sure how else to release myself from the frustration of my current situation. But at least with that I can actually now change the way I have been thinking and going about "the next step" and just try to take things from platform to platform as opposed to trying to plan a career plan. I am tired of being overworked, completely under paid and underappreciated and feeling down and out about this whole situation and process. But I know I need a different approach and you have provided a good place to start. Thank You