1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on school

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spot, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm pretty sure I've posted about school before but I'll summarize it in a few sentences, so everyone can get a general idea of what's going on. I don't fit in well at all. I've had many panic attacks (usually >1 per week), severe depression, multiple breakdowns over the period of two years. I've settled down a bit but it's still a lot, sometimes my parents let me take days off because of my mental health. I see the school counselor, probably at least once a week. They don't want me to move schools or drop out though, I've already tried asking. I feel very ostracized from the other kids and it's very true that the popular or "nice" kids do exclude a number of people, everyone in my friendship group has experienced the same problems (we're the "losers/rejects") because of similar mental health issues, special needs, being LGBT/pro-LGBT, atheism, paganism or drug use. I fit into most of those categories, except drugs so yeah, I don't feel so comfortable at school. At this point, I also feel 100% unready to graduate which I should be next year.

One of my friends has been bullied for her special needs and the staff have been super judgemental towards her and her mother because she's on Ritalin. We were talking about school and how we wanted to drop out next (our final) year. Then she started telling me about this type of plan that they offered to the students, I'd never heard of it before she mentioned it but she's never lied to me. So, basically next year, for the 12th Grade I'd only have to go to school for 2 days per week and I think I can choose my subjects as well. However, I'd have to do the 12th Grade, two days per week, for two years instead of doing it all in one. My current classmates would graduate and I'd stay with the current Grade 10 students. I don't know if this is a really stupid idea or a really good one. I think it's both beneficial and harmful but I don't know which outweighs the other. She doesn't know if she'll do it yet but she said she's "definitely thinking" about it. I am too but I'd like to hear what other people think. I haven't even brought it up with my parents yet but they were okay with me going to school for 4 days per week as opposed to 5 next year, I guess this isn't so different.

From what I can see (asterisked are the more important points):
    Pros:
    ~More time to think things over and mentally prepare myself*
    ~Less demanding schedule*
    ~Can make more friends*
    ~A new experience with new challenges*
    ~Can put more time into more important things like practicing driving, getting a job, further education, therapy, etc during the days I'm not at school*
    ~Will be in my correct Grade (I'm supposed to be in the 10th Grade instead of 11th)
    ~One of my best friends will be doing it with me*
    ~The kids who bullied me won't be in my classes anymore

Cons:
    ~Being a new kid all over again as I don't know any of the Grade 10 students*
    ~Seeing friends graduate without me*
    ~Missing out on some classes and time with my friends*
    ~Might alienate me from both the current Grade 11 and Grade 10 kids*
    ~Might cause a lot of negative reactions
    ~Maybe purposely holding myself back?
    ~I'll have to stay with my parents for one extra year (honestly, I probably still would've been living with them anyway).

So, I'd really like to know others' opinions. Obviously I'd have to talk this over with my parents and the school counselor first. If my friend doesn't do it, I probably won't because I've only just settled in after being a new kid and I don't want to do it all over again, on my own. If I were to do it, I'd do normal school for two days and then university for two days (they let us do it while in high school if we choose) and then I could go to therapy or something for one day. I could still keep in contact with my friends outside of school so I guess that eliminates some of the cons. Plus, one of the kids in Grade 10 went to kindergarten with me and our moms are friends so I sort of know someone there. What would you do in this situation, if you had the same problems?

2. Deinna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello!

I'm really sorry for your situation, hopefully everything will be okay someday.(*hug*) But I got to say, in my opinion you have a great choice available.

You should do whatever feels right for you. I, for example, decided to complete college in 3 and a half years instead of the normal 3, because it helps me, when I'm studying vet school's entrance exams. If you think that this plan really helps you with your problems, I'd tell you to go for it. It sounds a good choice to me.

But you really should talk about it with your parents and the counselor. They can help and support you with this situation, what ever decision you're going to make ^^

I don't know, if this helped at all, but good luck!