1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combating "a"loneliness.. Tips?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by schrodinger, Sep 29, 2016.

1. schrodinger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Feeling incredibly alone at the moment. I'm a sole parent, have no family nearby (none in the same state for that matter), and have recently had to distance myself from my two closest friends. I feel like I'm falling into a pit of loneliness.

2. ABeautifulMind

Coming here is a good start :slight_smile:

I have to say, I love your sn, not too many science nerds here :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Can you explain why you have had to distance yourself?

No matter what coming here is a good start :grin:

3. schrodinger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for replying. I thought it was fitting given I am simultaneously out and closeted!

It's complicated but essentially one has chosen to support their partner's criminal lifestyle and the other has used me for far too long. I still talk to both every now and again but I've had to put some up some boundaries for my sanity and safety.

4. ABeautifulMind

LOL! I love that reasoning, I mean really.... Just.... That is awesome... I can tell we are going to get along great :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Well that sounds pretty shitty about your friends... I wonder if you live near enough to a big city to maybe look for an LGBT center? Well, I actually just looked at your location, Brisbane, I did a quick web search, I found this:

https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/com...exual-transgender-intersex-residents-brisbane

Under other services there were a few that might be worth checking out...

IDK if you guys have dating apps, but a lot of them in the states have a "only looking for friends" option... You might try that...

How old is your son/daughter? If they are older they might be someone to hang out with and catch up with as well.. I wonder if you are out to them though? IDK, but blood/family can be helpful when your going through tough times :wink:

And if they are young, to hell with it, go watch a movie with 'em :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyways, I just thought I would share a few ideas, I know they arent great, but if you try them, you never know what you might find...

I still cant get over the genius of your sn... Its too bad they dont have the o with the 2 dots... a unique twist on a cat in the closet :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given what you describe here, it's probably not a bad idea to put up some barriers between yourself and your friends, particularly in the case of what you call a "criminal lifestyle" - not only for your sake, but for your child's as well. So for what it's worth, it sounds like it was a healthy and totally sensible move.

I would certainly look into local LGBT organizations - there may be many geared specifically towards LGBT parents, even - as places to meet others, for yourself and maybe even your child as well. It looks like there's a fairly well established pride celebration in the city too - even though it looks like it's already passed this year, many prides (especially larger ones) will be planning and looking for volunteers long before the actual event.

None of this is to say that you *have* to look at LGBT communities - there will be many others out there as well. Single parent groups, book clubs, arts classes, and so forth. You could check out any of them. :slight_smile:

Finally, even if family's not nearby, maybe it's a good time to reconnect with them (depending on what sort of relationship you have). Give them a call. Invite them for a visit (or ask if you can travel to go see them).

6. schrodinger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know right! Brisbane is 3 hours away but i appreciate the thought :slight_smile: There is a big LGBTI community in my town but very much a party scene. I haven't found any groups or activities geared towards parents or families. My daughter is 7, and I don't really have anyone other than her to hang out with anymore.

I talk to my parents most days, but they live around 3000kms away in a different state and we all have full-time commitments so regular visits are out. We visit them once a year. I'm also not out to them, and not planning to be anytime soon. Life is just really sucky at the moment.:confused: