1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Never gone to a lgbtiq club/bar or similar should I ever?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Caecilian65, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Caecilian65

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Everyone,

Wasn't sure where this fit so sticking it in here. I am currently living in a probably homophobic/small country town of 300 people. I have previous been online dating/chatting but don't do that now as am in a long distance relationship for the time being and focussed on work a lot.

Back to the question: should I go to a gay bar/club/whatever at some point? Has anyone else never gone to one? I always felt uncomfortable even in straight bars/clubs and can't really see myself enjoying a Mardi Gras or pride/whatever? I'm not internalising more homophobia am I? It just feels like something I am not that interested in.

Any thoughts? I'm starting to stress about this a lot thinking I should go when I am young but also not comfortable doing that. Have others gone to places like this for the first time in their 50s and 60s if at all? Thinking of all scenarios since I don't plan on living near a city anytime soon.

2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you can't really know until you try it. I also didn't particularly enjoy straight bars/clubs and I actually really enjoy gay bars and clubs. I made some of my best gay friends--many of whom I'm still friends with twenty plus years later--the first time I went to a gay bar. Years later I met my husband in that same bar. It's not for everyone. But I think you can't really decide that until you go. I would have assumed it wasn't for me. I would have been wrong.