1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upcoming US Election and voting as a gay man?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TanMan, Oct 3, 2016.

1. TanMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone. So before I really ask the question, I just want to say that I am gay (22 years old) and still in the closet; besides telling my brother. Parents, relatives, and friends have no idea. But with this upcoming election I'm a little torn on who to vote for. Yes, my family is considered republican and I kind of like trump... sort of. Of course he may be a little bad, but then there's Hillary. However, ever since trump picked Pence as his running mate, I've been leaning towards Hilary. I know Hilary was against gay marriage and gay equality way back when, but now she says she supports. I don't know if she's saying that just for the votes, but I personally feel like Hilary, along with the Democratic Party, would be better for the LGBT community.

I've seen all these things that are now popping up that trump would repeal all the previous equality laws basically saying it's "unconstitutional to christians," etc,, and it's kind of freaking me out. And I understand, based on what I've been reading, that Pence is 100% anti-LGBT.

With that being said, as well as being a gay man, would Hilary be the best option in this upcoming election?

Please don't hate on me for supporting trump (sort of supporting trump). I just want to know what others in the LGBT community would think of voting for trump, and what you think would happen if he is President. Would this be bad for members of the LGBT community.

I would really appreciate some feedback because I am really torn this election. Hilary as of now is my primary choice.

2. smurf

There are two thoughts when it comes to this sort of thing.

1) (Me) who thinks you should vote for the person who is honestly supportive of the community and the issues you care about. To me that includes other minorities including LGBT people

2) Some people believe that being LGBT is such a little part of their lives that if the economy isn't taken care of then why care about how the LGBT people are taken care of?

That being said, this election is different. One, because the election is very policy oriented. For example, the line of "support the person who supports the economy" doesn't work since Trump is not a policy guy.

There is a group called the Log Cabin Republicans. They are a group who have historically stood by Republican candidates even though they want to pass anti-LGBT policies. They stood by them because they believed is was better for the economy. This election is the first election in a while that the Log Cabin Republicans have yet to decide whether or not they should endorse Trump. Which is huge. They endorse Romney without giving it a second thought, and Romney was even crazier about LGBt people than Trump is. Trump is just that ridiculous.

Is Trump worse for LGBT people? Yes. No one will dispute that. The question is, is it important enough for you to vote for the other person

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm voting for Hillary personally. Sure, she has her flaws. But, Bernie is not an option and I hate Trump.

I do think Hillary is better for the LGBT community. People can always change their minds about gay marriage. Even I, as a gay person, was homophobic when I was younger. And even if she's only doing it for votes, she would still have to stay true to her word as president considering she went that far to get the votes.

I know Trump himself was not against gay marriage, but that's not the issue. He's on the republican side, and he can always sway his real views to get more votes/recognition as well.

Not to mention, he's both a racist and a misogynist. The LGBT community is not the "White gay male" community. Some gay men are black or mexican. Lesbians and bisexual women exist, who would be hurt by the sexism he displays- and even more so for us, since we're a double minority. This alone is enough for me to avoid him.

Vote for who you want though. It's not as if we have amazing choices this election.

4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pretty much this. I refuse to vote for Trump or Hillary, for lots of reasons. I don't believe every negative thing about them; but they are both so far out of it...

I was leaning to Johnson, also not a stellar candidate. But he is in the middle, not a right wing wacko or a left wing wacko.

Kind of tired of always voting for a person just because I don't want the other person.

5. ABeautifulMind

Im voting for Jill Stein... I honestly dont like her, but I firmly believe in the Green Party platform and I want to see a new major party started to make federal funds available to them....

If you liked Bernie, odds are you would like the Green Party. Jill is not perfect, but considering her platform and her flaws, she is BY FAR the best choice in my eyes... I mean... Trump, I dont need to explain... crooked $Clinton is the most corrupt politician I have ever seen, probably in US history... and Johnson supports TPP and citizens united, 2 deal breakers for me... not to mention wanting to abolish the dept of education, wanting to abolish a federal minimum wage, and thinking that climate change is real but one of his responses is, so what in a billion years the sun will engulf the earth... or else the free market will regulate itself... both abysmal failures at policy to address the issue...

Then you have Jill Stein claiming wifi transmission has been studied in europe and there may be problems linked to it in childrens development... To me, that just seems like such a minor flaw in comparison... Not to mention the Green party being the only party to actually address climate change AND ENERGY INDEPENDENCE, through the Green New deal.... Their plan calls for completely renewable energy infrastructure for 100% of our energy needs by 2030... that wont happen, but having such a non-incremental attitude about it will have sweeping effects... We could have energy independence by 2040 though... Just think, no more fighting wars for Saudi Arabia, their pipeline, and the petro dollar, and we help halt climate change...

anyways, thats my 2 cents..

---------- Post added 4th Oct 2016 at 01:05 AM ----------

I should note, I live in Tx, so my vote wont matter tbh unless I help start a new major party... I could understand having troubles deciding in a swing state, but if your not in a swing state, for sure you should consider 3rd party... I would even if I lived in a swing state, but I just thought I would acknowledge the difficulty for those in swing states...