1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Gay in Guatemala?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by gloomyra, Oct 6, 2016.

1. gloomyra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Actually, it's Peru, and I'm bisexual, not gay, but it definitely sounds better than "Being Bisexual in Peru".

So... Recently I've had a couple good friends move away and I haven't had many people to hang out with. Last month I found out yet another friend will be moving away, to Peru. When I told her I was feeling really bummed about her moving and being stuck in the U.S., she asked if I wanted to move with her and be roommates. She knows I'm bisexual, and no, we aren't interested in each other that way.

At the moment it's only a consideration. I've been wondering how LGBTQ people are treated in Guatemala. I know it differs a lot country to country. Good? Bad? Ambivalent? And I'm talking more about the people and culture, not the laws and government. I can find that out easily enough on my own.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a bit confused what you're asking - are you thinking about moving to Peru, or Guatemala? And are you from the United States, then? Have you ever been to the country you'd be moving to, and do you speak Spanish?

My first impression would be to suggest that you stay - not because of any potential problem with being gay in these countries, but because you'd need a reason to immigrate (probably a job, which might be hard to get if you're not a citizen), and also because if you followed your friend there, you'd find yourself in a pretty similar situation as the one you're in now (she'd be the only one you knew, and any time she was busy, you'd be in the same situation you were before).