1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Health Class and LGBT issues

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by loveislove01, Oct 9, 2016.

1. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Our health class had a day covering LGBT issues, and while the fact that they included it was great, some of the information wasn't accurate, especially regarding trans* people.

I know a bunch of transgender freshmen, who will be in this health class next year. Our school has multiple LGBTQ+ students and I feel that this definitely needs a change for the future classes.

Some things that need to be highlighted

1) The difference between sex, gender identity and sexual identity. The three are often interchanged due to a lack of knowledge more than anything else.

2) Importance of respecting pronouns.

3) Importance of respecting identity in general, talking about how LGBT teens feel alienated and such.

4) Clear definitions of basic LGBT terms.

I am going to write a letter to the administration about this, and along with my own viewpoints I need reliable articles and resources.
    If anyone has any, can you please post them on this thread?
    I really want to make sure this changes.

2. RainRose

I'm afraid I don't have a resource for you, but I wanted to say that I think this is a great thing to do, and I know that many here support your quest. <3

3. killswitch0029

I too have no resources but I feel that by writing a letter and letting them know that the content they covered wasn't necessarily correct it can help the administrators/teachers track down the necessary information that they need to make the class as accurate as possible. Good job taking the step to help things get cleared up :slight_smile: