1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaking Out Against Verbal Abuse in Relationships

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Kaiken, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Kaiken

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, let me state that I am neither suicidal, homicidal, or entertaining any ideations of either. I’m not interested in seeking professional help. I am speaking out to let others know that abuse happens but that it doesn’t have to shape who you are or what you become.

It’s been 2 years since I escaped from a verbally abusive relationship that included threats of violence but the feelings and abuse still linger. I’m not sure they’ll ever go away. I hadn’t even realized how bad it was until a month or two after everything ended. My escape came about by his death. I was working through the grief and taking care of issues that untimely death causes. One day out of the blue it hit me, it wasn’t just his temperament, having a stressful job/life or a result of drinking too much - he was abusing me while claiming his love and devotion to me. I believed it out of fear and hope, a dangerous mix for me.

He ruined friendships, hurt family ties, and made me fear putting a toe out of place or doing anything to upset or inconvenience him. It’s only now that I can admit what happened and call a spade a spade. I was abused.

The day he died is always difficult for me, but I don’t whitewash what happened. I do something nice for myself and face the past. This doesn’t stop the nightmares of him coming back to life and having to pretend to others that everything’s fine. He’s always smiling, but that’s just a pre-cursor to the abuse that soon follows.

Having to pretend that nothing out of the ordinary was happening and hide the abuse with lie after lie was my life. I refuse to stand silent anymore.

I’ve since moved on, gotten my life and career in order, proposed to a man that I love and who loves me back without reservation, and cut all ties with his family (They blame me for his death though they choose to ignore the abuse I suffered daily, sometimes in front of their own eyes). I don’t deny the past, and my fiancé and close friends/family all know about it, but I still feel shame. Should have’s, could have’s, and would have’s come back to me and I struggle to dispel them.

Verbal abuse is still abuse. No matter who you are, what your sexual orientation is, how strong-willed/independent you are, or wherever you are in life it can happen. The memories remain, but I want to speak out and let others know. If it’s happening to you know that:

You aren’t weak.

There’s nothing wrong with you.

Verbal abuse and threats of violence can be just as harmful as physical abuse.

Don’t let it define who you are or what you’ll become.

2. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad to know that you are moving on in some ways with your life by starting over with a new relationship of someone who is standing by you. You have no need to feel ashamed anymore...as you said...the past is the past and although when we move on from such horrible situations ....this doesn't mean that we forget completely. The memories do stay with us but they do not take over our thoughts on a consistent basis. What I will like to say to you is that if you feel that the shame you feel will cause you some difficulty in progressing with your life as it stands..then perhaps you should pursue some counseling to help you balance it all out in a positive way. As far as the naysayers goes that you've mentioned within your thread..you are doing the right thing by cutting all ties. I feel that its easy for people to make or draw assumptions to something that they know nothing about and will never know your truth about the situation. Therefore, I applaud you for taking a stand.

3. Kaiken

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. I hate even admitting that it happened, but recently I heard about someone that went through the same thing. I want other people that have gone through something similar to know that there's hope. I don't want them to think that they're alone.

4. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well...you can be that voice by sharing your story...your truth about your progress. I know for myself...I had mentioned in several threads here on the forum where I was raped and beaten by a so-called friend whom by the way was fronting as straight but was closeted. After overcoming all that I had faced from the outcome of this ordeal. I felt like I was a true testament of a miracle because I was told by a couple of doctors that I was facing death even on the surgery table. Once I got over that ordeal..I was then told that I would never talk again or eat solid foods and part of my motor skills will suffer to the degree where I would not be able to think or act in the manner that I've been accustomed to. Well...after overcoming all of that...I did feel like a very blessed man and that God had another plan for my life instead of death. I established a close relationship with the final therapist that I was assigned to and they were so impressed with my progress that I was asked to speak at several forums in regards to my situation to victims who had also been sexually abused but were ashamed to speak about it or did not know how to go about dealing with the feelings they were facing.

Initially, I did not want to do it and did not think I had it in me. However, after being encouraged to do so by my late partner...I did it and it was very successful and very overwhelming to say the least. Therefore, with that being said...I see the very same potential in you as my therapist saw in me. Use your pain to bless someone's life.

5. Kaiken

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But doesn't it feel strange to come out on the other side after going through something like that? I've always been the type too afraid to voice my emotions or fears, afraid to be judged by others for being weak or needing help. Even now, if someone raises their voice to me aggressively I can feel my heart slam against my chest, remembering the past.

I don't like the loss of power or perceived weakness that comes with something like that. Telling people has always been exhausting to me due to the shift in the way that others view you. Have you felt that way? There are days that I can't stand to think of it or the way that I let myself be treated.

I'm sorry to hear that you went through such a trying ordeal and abuse. I hope your life is back on track and that you are moving forward.

6. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes...it was definitely a strange feeling...and it wasn't something that I jumped into doing as soon as I was approached with doing it. I do too also felt like I loss power when I was sexually abused and after all that I've dealt with...this was one of the important issues that I was finding it very difficult to deal with. Actually, for quite some time..I felt like the character from the "Scarlet Letter" story. Although, I knew that I did not have a letter written over my chest ...but it felt that way. From dealing with this...I started working out a lot and putting a lot of attention on my outer appearance. For me...this approach made me feel as if people just paid attention to my outer appearance..they would not be able to figure out what was going on internally. In fact...this is still a daily ritual with me to this day.

So...what I'm trying to say to you is that once I made up my mind to accept the invite to speak at the first forum...I was nervous and afraid and wanted to leave...but I had the support of people who I am very close with and by them being there took away all those fears and anxieties. Once I got up on the stage and told my story and received a standing ovation at the end and when audience members were coming up to me afterwards wanting to hug me and speaking with me about how much motivation and inspiration I've given them by telling my story made it all worthwhile. Therefore, I came to realize that once I started talking out loud about my ordeal that by doing this was very therapeutic for me in a lot of ways as well. Initially...this was something that I did not want to do and in fact...I did not tell a lot of people about it until very much later down the road so to speak.

My life today is better in so many ways...although my bf had passed away unexpectedly six years ago...I have to say that all that I've been through has made me such a stronger and wiser individual altogether. In some ways...I feel that I had to go through in order to become the individual that I am today. You may not understand what I am saying ...but the reality is that we all go through something in this life and at the time we do not understand why..but in the long run...we began to see that we have grown in so many ways from those unfortunate incidents and also..we can use our pain to help someone else overcome their issues. At the end of the day...I tend to believe that is what its all about....JS:thumbsup::smilewave

#6 JonSomebody, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  7. Kaiken

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just don't want other people to feel the shame that I endured in silence for a long time. I too felt like I'd been marked with something that separated me. Trust is a long LONG time coming for me with people now, but my fiance has proved time and again that he can be trusted.

I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend passing away, it's tough.

After making up my mind to do something I too commit to it no matter how I feel. writing about it helps. I tell everyone that I'm 15 years older than I actually am because after going through all of that I feel much older, though I'm not sold on if that makes me personally wiser. I wouldn't have wished what I went through on anyone else (nor would I wish what you went through on others either) and hope that in the grand scheme of things I wasn't forced to suffer years of abuse in order to help others, but who knows? (Sorry, still a little bitter about the whole thing) I just want to live quietly and modestly, not be a hero. Have you also felt that way?

8. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand what you are saying and in time..the areas that I spoke on that you are not comprehending to...you will be able to totally relate to them. I can tell from your responses that you still have some bitterness which is expected. I too went through a severe bitterness phase. I even remember a couple of doctors telling me once things have gotten better for me that how amazed they were to see that I can actually smile and to know that I have a very pleasant attitude. This was because they could see the bitterness written all over my face and I did not even have to open my mouth. In regards to wanting to live quietly, modestly and not being a hero...I understand that too. In fact, in certain parts of my life...I am like that now. I live quietly...I have a very small close group of friends who have been in my life for over 13 years and I am very cautious of my surroundings and people in general. Lastly...I too did not want to be a hero or advocate for males being raped...sexually abused...it just something that happened and although I was received well ...its not like I go around on this national tour speaking at every chance I get. No....I do it sporadically which is like once or twice a year if that.

What I'm trying to say is that your journey does not have to be like mine and the path that we have is acceptable to you and I are different...but very relatable. Where I'm at in my life did not happen over night...it took a while for me to come to terms with all that has transpired and it took me awhile to begin to embrace myself as a good person again. Therefore, all that I'm mentioning to you in regards to my progression took time to get to this point in my life and it was not an easy journey..but I am here and when I say that the pain I've endured can be a good thing..what I mean is that sometimes sharing your pain with others who are going through similar issues can be a good thing such as a lesson to them in order to avoid what you have endured or they feel as if they now have a voice would totally understand. All in all...with you...things will evolve in your own time at your own pace and if you are satisfied with the way things are now in your life...then you have progressed to your liking.:thumbsup:

9. Kaiken

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are indeed a wise owl- perhaps a Ravenclaw. Me personally, I'm either a Hufflepuff or Slytherin, maybe even a Slytherpuff (Thought I'd bring some levity into the conversation)

One day perhaps I'll feel more comfortable with what heppened, but for the time being all I can feel is anger and bitterness. I can speak out about it, but not without anger like bile bubbling up in me. I've been told that I prefer anger to anything else because it's me showing myself that I have some control over the past.

I did not mean to imply that you enjoyed speaking out about it. It is good to know that other people have gone through something similar. It's hard to relate to other people that have gone through similar things. I tried looking on online forums elsewhere about abuse and rape, but none of them seemed to be relatable to me. I only escaped my attacker because he died. Now that I have a second chance at life I refuse to give up. I have my goals for life, but I like where I am and where I'm headed. It's also nice to be able to talk about it and vent. His death anniversary was a few days ago and I felt so emotionally vulnerable. I needed to take the power back (hence the initial post).

I appreciate you taking time out of your day to communicate with me on this issue. I know that I should probably speak to a therapist (Ironically I work in the field of mental and behavioral health on the fringes of it so I know it's benefits) But I am not at that part of recovery yet. Even if I never am I at least am able to turn and face the past before my demons swallow me whole.

10. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    I will speak out against it. My mom can be verbally and physically at times. That is why I have high standards for my people who want a relationship (including my crush). I have made decisions that I never want to be abused again. I would never sacrifice my happiness just t be with someone . Kudos for standing up

11. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are allowed to feel anger and bitterness...I just don't want you to be consumed with it because it can take a tow on you for the worst. Now for me...to overcome my bitterness..I sought the help of a therapist which was highly recommended to me by my primary doctor. Apparently...in my opinion...if you are dealing with bitterness and anger at this stage...then I think you are dealing with struggle and should pursue as a part of recovery...just me speaking ...and like I said...the only reason I can speak on this is because I've been there and I declined quite a bit before taking the advice seriously. In fact...my doctor was considering admitting me into a facility because at that time my bitterness and anger had evolved into me becoming a severe manic depressive individual. So...think about it and give it some consideration...but again...do it when you feel you are ready to do so because then you will take it all seriously and not doing it just to be doing it.

12. Kaiken

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. It is much appreciated.

You are right and that is why I have not pursued therapy yet. I don't want to do it just to go through the motions, I want to do it to better my recovery from the past. For now it helps to write in a journal and I have been doing so since a year ago. Working on art and taking long walks also helps. I know many therapists personally and I'm sure they could recommend someone to me, but I don't want to go that route just yet.

Thank you JonSomebody, just to speak out and get the feelings off of my chest has done a great deal in helping me to feel better. I know that other people have gone through something similar, but its nice to actually know someone else whose been through it as well and can relate.

13. Poppy43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hopefully you will be able to now spot the signs of an abusive person very early on in a friendship or relationship and be able to get rid of them before things get really bad. I'm sorry that you had to go through such a dreadfull experience with your old boyfriend.
    I've previously had problems like this from a straight woman that I was friends with for over 20 years or so. She always wanted her own way with absolutely everything and if she fell out with someone she would make their lives hell by causing loads of trouble for them.
    I wanted to get rid of her because I couldnt stand how rude and bullying she was. Once one of her friends out of the blue started calling me names for nothing and she just sat there and sided with him. I found it really hard to get rid of her though because she kept coming round to my house unannounced all the time.I didnt have the confidence to say to her I dont think we should really be friends anymore etc.
    Anyway, things came to a head after she called me useless for missing a turning in the road when we were in her car. She started swearing and carrying on etc. When we got out of the car I told her straight politely that I wouldnt be going anywhere with her ever again and that she wasnt to come round to my house under any circumstances.
    She started swearing at me and saying really personal things in the street etc. I eventually managed to get away but following this she started sending my family poison pen letters about me,loads of silly lies all made up.
    Also I've seen her in the street since and she has screamed at me etc. Eventually I had to get the Police to warn her to stay away etc and they talked to me about getting an injunction .I dont think now that will be needed now as she has left me alone for over a year.
    I'm now determined to never get stuck with anyone like that ever again and that the first time someone is rude to me will be the last. All anyone can do is learn from their experiences and I know that my boundaries have to be better in the future.

#13 Poppy43, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  14. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are so welcome...anytime you need to vent...feel free to contact me anytime. I will leave you with something one of the nurses who used to come by my room at midnight every night and just talk to me. Although during that time...I was not able to talk because my lungs had collapse from the aftermath of the rape...I would write down in a notebook my responses to her conversations. Anyway...this was something she shared with me and I still keep it close to me to this day:

"The Past Is Your Lesson"
    "The Present Is Your Gift"
    "The Future Is Your Motivation"

:thumbsup::eusa_clap