1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know how to talk people

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Shasta, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    When try to talk to people I never know what to say. I can never start convo

2. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Start the conversation by pointing out something you two seem to have in common, or by simply asking a question. Smile. Keep eye contact but don't stare. After a few replies it's best to introduce yourself. It's pretty odd when you're talking to someone for a good few minutes and you still don't know their name. Moreover, do your best to remember your interlocutor's answers so that you can later on further those questions getting even more detailed replies.

This is an example on how you can start a conversation with a person you've noticed to wear something you like (in a social situation where it wouldn't be weird to approach them, of course. Also, you don't need to actually be interested in that thing, it's just a pretext):

You: "Oh my God, I love that watch, were did you get it?"
    They: "Oh, it was from so and so, they might still have it on sale"
    You: "I definitely hope so, it really matches my style you know? I'm <insert your name>, by the way"

** someone at this point should raise their hand so as to motion a handshake (it's usually you that does it)

They: "<name>"
    You: "Nice to meet you, <name>" (it's best if you can repeat their name as much as possible during your conversation so the odds of forgetting it decrease)

The choice of words is probably not the best (I'm not american), but I hope you got the gist.

3. B a r e f o o t

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Find something about them that is obvious about them to begin the conversation about. Don't ask something that isn't obvious or that they might not be comfortable with. Or simply start the conversation based on something general. Or anything you might have in common. Or any situation you are both in, such in a class, or anything that you both do. There are so many possibilities. Often nervousness and anxiety will make it difficult to get started but you must do it anyway. Bravery is not the absence of fear; it is action in spite of it. Be brave.

4. Blinko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Build your confidence by upgrading your self-worth to determine how comfortable you are around others. Sometimes having a low self-esteem makes us feel less confident in starting a substantial conversation with someone. The good news is that people are mentally construed in a manner in which most people worry of what to say the first time they interact with somebody and how that other person will think of them. However, building a strong and confident character makes it easier to start convos