1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you tell parent that you need to see therapist/counselor?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Ramlethal, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Ramlethal

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I planned on going to see one but I need someone to drive me from place that I stay. Talking to them seems impossible. But they are my only option. :frowning2:

I feel sick thinking about what is going to happen. I don't know what to say to them. What do I do?

2. Chocolate Cake

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think it depends what you need to see the counsellor for, because they'd probably ask you that.

3. RainydayTofu

RainydayTofu Guest

Hmm I agree they're probably gonna ask why. It might be best to talk to them first- even if you make something up, say you're just generally feeling down maybe (I assume it's about being LGBT that you'd like to talk to a counsellor about, but would prefer not to tell your parents?).

They may get a bit offended if you don't at least tell them a little bit first.

And if they agree a you do get to see a counsellor (fingers crossed for you!) and your folks ask what you talk to them about, I guess you can always say that because you're so close to them you don't wanna upset them by telling them?? Just an idea..

I'm aware I just gave you a million different ideas about how to lie toyour family :lol:

4. Ramlethal

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    They said I was crazy for wanting one , why did I even bother to talk to them? :frowning2:

5. RainydayTofu

RainydayTofu Guest

Ohhh... sorry to hear that- it was brave of you to ask though. Is there any counselling closer to home you could go to where you wouldn't need them to drive you there?

Or what about online? I'd be wary of giving details or money to an online counselor but some sites have a contact email for like one-off, free advice. This might help you feel a bit better for now (not a long-term solution I realise).

And of course there's always EC :slight_smile: ...not that we're trained professionals of course lol but there's a lot of sympathy and good advice on here (and I only joined last month!)

6. hollabackboy

Out Status:
    Some people
    My best friend had some trouble getting into therapy, but I was able to help him convince his parents he needed it by approaching his parents myself, along with his boyfriend and him. So perhaps it might help you to talk to a good friend about it, ask the friend if they think you need therapy, and then ask said friend to talk to your parents about it with you. Your parents are likely to take you more seriously if one of your friends expresses concern about you as well. Another idea is to talk to your school counselor if you're still in high school, ask them if they can help you get into therapy.

I can't guarantee that'll work, but it'll give you better chances, at least.