1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!! Trying to get my first apartment and I don't know what to do!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MonsterAnarchy, Oct 20, 2016.

1. MonsterAnarchy

I am a senior in highschool, and I am looking for apartments walking distance from the college I am going to be attending next fall.
    Here is my situation:

-Mom works at this college, so I get free tuition.
    -I am legible for financial aid
    -I am planning to get a job during the summer to help out with the apartment.

I was thinking maybe using my financial aid to buy this apartment that is relatively cheap. Is that a good idea? If not, is there any other way to get an apartment by next fall? Cause I can't stand living with my family and I don't want to wait another year. If it is a good idea to use my financial aid, can someone give me a crash course on how to get the apartment? Cause school doesn't really teach you how to buy an apartment, and I would like a dumbed down guide so that I would know what I'm doing.

Please help me, I really want to get out of this house as soon as possible.

2. Silver Sparrow

I'm assuming that living on campus is not an option? Usually, at least as far as I know, financial aid is usually directly applied to tuition.

3. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Silver Sparrow because I do know that depending upon the college policy...sometimes once you are approved for financial aid...they will send the money directly to you. However, the majority of them would send it directly to the school. Furthermore, what about the fact that you've mentioned that your tuition is taken care of and if you apply for financial aid..would this information be displayed in your records which then would open questions as to why you applied for financial aid in the first place???...Just a thought!!!!

#3 JonSomebody, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  4. AKTodd

It's been a while since I rented an apartment, but assuming nothing has changed drastically...

First off, I'm a little confused by you talking in terms of 'buying' an apartment. Typically, apartments are rented - although I believe there are exceptions to that in major cities or possibly countries outside the US.

If you're actually looking at buying an apartment then that's going beyond my experience and so I'll let someone else speak to that.

Assuming you are looking to rent an apartment:

a) Look for an apartment relatively close to campus. How close depends on your transportation options and how you plan to use them. How do you plan to get to/from campus? Car? Bus? Bike? Walking? Note that if you are planning to drive, there may be a significant cost for parking on or near campus.

Sidebar: Before you even start on this process, I'd suggest checking with the university to see if they will allow you to live off-campus as a freshman. Some universities won't allow it. Some apartments may also refuse to rent to someone under 18 or under 21 or the like. You'll want to check on that up front.

b) To find an apartment, you can probably look online. Google something like 'apartments for rent in <city where you plan to live>' or 'apartments for rent'. You can probably find listings or websites that let you find apartments in your area. You might also check with the university itself (maybe at the student union or resource center or whatever they call it) as they may be able to provide you with a list of nearby or recommended apartments. Whatever way you do it, the apartment listings should give you an idea of the price range a given complex has (depending on the size of the complex, you may be looking at studios, 1 BR, 2 BR, etc.).

c) To rent an apartment you basically just walk into the office and ask if they have any apartments for rent. If they have one and it's in your price range (which you've probably established beforehand via online searching) and you like it, then you'll need to sign a rental agreement and likely put down a deposit and some amount of rent. That might be the first month's rent, first and last month's rent (2 mos rent basically), or something else. The deposit will likely be at least equal to one months rent, or a bit more.

You might or might not have to undergo a credit check. Best to assume you will. Given your youth, that could be a wrinkle, since I'm assuming you don't have much, if any, credit history. If the university is a big deal in the town then there may be a number of apartments near the campus that are willing to work with you on this in various ways. Note that one of those ways (or an option that you might need to look at just on general principles), might be to have your parents co-sign the rental agreement with you).

d) You may be able to reduce your costs or get a nicer place for the same amount of money if you have one or more roommates. Going into together on a place with a friend or three can get you into a fairly nice apartment, or even a house, sometimes. On the flip side, living with someone can sometimes strain a friendship to the breaking point.

e) If you are looking to use your financial aid to pay rent, the first question is: What will you do if you lose your financial aid or don't get it one semester? Having a job to help cover those costs is a good idea, but it doesn't hurt to have some savings put away in case something unexpected comes up.

f) Second question: If you're living in an apartment, you have more costs than just rent. You may or may not have utilities (water, electric, gas, etc.) to pay, you will need to pay for food (and cook it yourself), you will need to furnish the place to at least a minimal degree, you will need to do your own laundry and probably pay for it. You will need to pay for cleaning supplies of various sorts, dishes, toilet paper, towels, internet access, etc. etc. etc.

Some of those things will be one time costs (more or less), others are going to be ongoing. You need to figure out how much these items are going to cost (at least roughly), bounce them up against your anticipated income (include a bit of flex so you aren't living on the edge of disaster all the time) and determine if you can afford rent and these other costs as well.

g) Third question: When are you getting your financial aid? I'm sure it varies with the type of aid, but many times you don't get any money until school starts. I mention this because it almost sounds like you want to get an apartment before you even start college and I'm not sure if you'll have any financial aid money to pay for it.

Finally, have you considered living in the dorms at your college? Does your free tuition maybe also include free room (or even board)? If so, you might live away from home, but rent free and in a situation where you can get some experience living on your own (some of the items you need for an apartment you also need for a dorm, for example) without taking the full dive into off campus living from the start.

You might also make some friends that you can eventually go in with on an apartment or house rental.

Ok, I think that covers it for now.

Hope this helps,

Todd

5. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why is life on campus such a bad deal?

6. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You also need to look into the rules for first year students, as the college might require all first year students to live on campus for the first year. Which living on campus still technically gets you out of the house.
    Also you rent apartments not buy.

Class schedule first, to see when you can work.
    Job second, and it needs to be year round because you need money to pay rent and utilities every month. Granted some utilities might be included in the rent; usually power, water, trash. You'll have to get TV, phone and internet.

Apartment last. Distance to campus and work need to be factored in, and so do pets if you have any or want any. Depending on your pay check and how expensive apartments are, you might need a roommate...

7. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

great info above,

just in case:

the good news is apartments near a college are used to renting to students. so they will probably be very open to it, and your situation. On the other hand - they maybe also be ready to take advantage of them, if they feel like it

1. I agree, on campus housing is worth considering.

2. Generally when you rent an apartment they want a deposit. This is so if you make a huge hole in the wall, and skip town - they have some money to put towards fixing it. When you rent, you sign contract - (read it!)

When you rent an aparment, you generally sign a lease. A lease is a contract (know your contract!!!!)

The contract has a time clause. This means you contract by the month, year, or sometimes 6 month. Usually apartments are by the year. Sometimes by 6 months. Rarely by the month. That is called a "month-to-month lease" . Can be handy at times...

Sometimes student housing will contract per semester. This is _handy_

the main parts of the contract are 1. time frame and 2. payment

One usually pays each month, but has to pay extra the first month (a deposit) . When your contract is over, you get the deposit back - IF there is no violation of the contract (usually damage, or unpaid rent)

In an aggressive housing market, they ALSO want an EXTRA Months rent, UPFRONT. This is called "last". So, the phrasing goes "move in requires First, Last, and Deposit" meaning to move into the apartment, you must put down UPFRONT money for the First month of the contract term, the Last Month, and the Deposit.

This makes it a pain in the *** to rent a new place, and very important to stash savings.

The trick to surviving when you can't afford it, if you can't find an aparment that is just first month + deposit, is move in with someone who is looking for a roommate. They have already paid First, Last, and Deposit - and just need you to pay monthly rent . They may want a deposit from you, but all this is way more flexible than dealing directly with a landlord. *BE CAREFUL who you choose for roommates. _SUPER_ careful.

Its also great to team up with friends or acquiantances (classmates, teammates, schoolmmates, whatever) and split an apartment, and then split the deposit.

The college will know good ways to find listing of available apartments in the area - otherwise, craigslist allows free ads, and has become the dominant place to advertise housing (replacing the classifieds in the newspaper)

As mentioned above, you may have to undergo a credit check. Its a good idea to check your credit FIRST. U can get a free credit report like once or twice a year - google it.

A good apartment, and/or roommates, may also ask for "references". These are just like when a potential employer asks for references. They want to check your story that you are a good person, and reliable . They want to interview people who know you , credible people (not necessarily your best friend - a boss, pastor, coach, etc would be better..) to see if they want you living in their housing...

Good luck! depending where you are, housing markets can be relaxed, or aggresive. Make sure you have a honest, reliable landlord!! Watch out for moldy apartments, bedbugs, criminals (and drugs), and cockroaches... also watch out for illegal buildings, and code violations.

Apartments usually become available on the first of the month. Sometimes on the 15th (middle)

Utilities (heat, electricity, and internet access/cable/ satellite) will either be included with the rent, or extra, and you may have to contact the companies yourself an open an account. The landlord will have their phone number.

Take care!!

p.s. if you do anything that could be considered finanical aide fraud, you could be in very, very deep trouble

8. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone covered things really well. is the college in your hometown? Do your parents expect you will be living at home while going to college?

9. MonsterAnarchy

The dorms on that specific campus is dangerous from what I've heard.
    And my tuition is free because my mother works there.

---------- Post added 21st Oct 2016 at 11:33 AM ----------

Because I've been told that the dorms on that specific campus is dangerous.

---------- Post added 21st Oct 2016 at 11:36 AM ----------

The college I'm going to is about an hour away, and my mom doesn't know yet. I'm planinning to tell her after I graduate.