1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hair Dying

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RedHeadHatter, Oct 21, 2016.

1. RedHeadHatter

So, It's not like I would do it right now, but I consider doing it in the future.

I'm red headed and I heard some stories about red headed people having more trouble getting their hairs dyed, are they true?

Another question I have is: Since my hair and my beard are red coloured, but my eyebrows are dark coloured, would it be strange having three different colours coexisting?

And to the final question: Do any of you guys know what impacts does it have on the hair structure/ original colour afterwards?

PS: Feel free to share personal experiences.
    PS2: Sorry for any mistakes I made through this post.

2. B a r e f o o t

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have had mine dyed for a long time. I don't have a beard but I have a mustache, and to make them match, I use a product called "Just For Men". It's a little colouring kit with a brush and a small bottle of colouring that's for beards and mustaches, sideburns. I think you will want them to match, eyebrows and beard perhaps, although they don't need to be exact and perhaps shouldn't be. I get my hair dyed at a salon. I think it lasts longer. Be sure and let them know you want permanent dye; this is very important. Not all dyes are meant to be permanent. Also, you will need to use shampoo and conditioner that's made for dyed hair. Regular shampoo can cause it to fade early. Dying the hair can damage it but it doesn't have to. There are some special things to do to keep it from being damaged. The salon will tell you what to use and how to care for it. My hair is halfway to my waist and I have no problems.
    Your hair will not revert to the original colour with permanent dye, and non permanent dye will not last long. So if you want to revert to the original colour, you will need to have it dyed that colour so that as it grows out it will be the same colour. I don't think red hair would be a problem to dye if it is done at a salon. The dye goes into the hair strands not on them. I hope that helps.

#2 B a r e f o o t, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  3. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

a caution - if you do, i recommend natural hair dyes.

for example - women are not supposed to dye theirr hair when their pregnant.

So.... i wouldn't go sticking the stuff next to your brain either..

I just an a no dye fan...

I am a big fan of shaping hair

I think mohawks are awesome.

I love to cut my own hair

I'm really into hair art, i love it. I just dont think dying is such a great idea

i guess if you have red hair and a beard to work with, perhaps you have a lot of options for cool stuff to do besides dye?

if I had money Id be into hats too :wink:

Take care! :slight_smile:

4. TheMatthew

I haven't heard anything about red hair being harder to dye, but I do know that after I dyed my hair, it didn't really have that much of an effect on my hair's structure or my natural color when I went back at all. I'd recommend you definitely to a salon, though, the professional products are normally better for your hair than ones you can get at the store.

5. Deinna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think that red hair makes it harder to dye, especially if you dye it darker than your natural hair colour. If you want lighter colour, you'll have to bleach your hair first and that isn't the best thing to put in your hair.

3 different colours could be a little too much, but I don't really know about that, since I' a female ^^

The dyes in salons are really good nowadays. They shouldn't cause any problems with your hair, mine got even better. They also don't change your own natural hair colour, at least in the salons, where I've dyed my hair, but this may be different with different dyes. I've dyed my hair three times now and every time my roots have been the same as my natural hair colour. :slight_smile:

I don't really know about the dyes in the stores, I have never used them, but I've heard that the colour may fade faster with them.

#5 Deinna, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  6. warrior452

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am not a natural red head, but I just went from auburn/dark red to like straw blonde. I don't think it would be harder to do. I have to fight with my roots. I am a natural brunette with red roots, and dye apparently brings that out. So, it depends on what color you do. If you go light (a blonde or light brown) you might have to deal with that. I had to bleach my hair before dying it.

Also, DONT USE BOX DYES. It's a whole lot simpler and better for you and your hair if you go to a salon. It's worth the money. Box dyes have a lot of strong chemicals that can mess up your hair and irritate your scalp. Also, they wash/fade out a lot quicker.

As far as the different colors, I wouldn't worry about it. I mean, do something that coordinates. But rock whatever you end up with....I currently have blonde hair with dark roots, brown eyebrows, and a beard that's somewhere between brown and black. Just roll with it and as long as the colors aren't too drastically different, no one will notice! :slight_smile: