1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm easily intimidated by others

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Shasta, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    How do I act confident around intimidating people. I had a very controlling mother and when some intimidates me I feel frightened. Brings back bad memories and the fight or flight kicks in

2. B a r e f o o t

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's a saying: "Bring the body and the mind will follow", also, "Fake it until you make it" and it does work. If you can force yourself to act confident, in time you will be. It doesn't sound logical but it works. However, since you were "programmed" by your controlling mother from a young age, you probably have some very ingrained thinking and emotional patterns that will be hard to get rid of on your own. A counselor (psychologist not psychiatrist) can help you dig those up and eliminate them. It's called cognitive therapy; you learn (become cognizant) of the issues and what causes them and how that works, then you can begin to work them out for yourself. I was one who lacked confidence and when I decided I needed to change I started with the "fake it until you make it" thing and before long I began to overdo it, and I came across as aggressive, so that can happen. I wish you well.