1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Was Called An Abomination on Facebook!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Trace1496, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Trace1496

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So today I posted a meme of a gay couple living happily together, and for the most part I got positive feedback, but a "friend" who I thought supported me in being gay told me I was abomination to God. I am beyond shocked that he feels and thinks this way. Should I delete him as a friend or would that make me just like him; intolerant of his beliefs? Or does that even make me like him? Should I private message him and tell him how I feel? I just do not know what to do.

2. RavenWing

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you unfriend him and block him you have every right to. You never need to feel like your just like him if you're just protecting yourself from negativity. Try messaging him first and if he keeps being negative and intolerant, block him. No one deserves that sh** on their Facebook page, heck, in life in general.

3. TheMatthew

I'd say yeah, you have the right to delete him as a friend. It doesn't make you intolerant of his beliefs. It just means you won't put up with someone being negative and intolerant towards you, on your Facebook. No one should be put down like that.

4. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with the other comments...you should private message him about the situation and take it from there. However, even after contacting him...for what he did..I would definitely block him or unfriend him. That is the downfall of social media to me..when you post something..you tend to leave yourself open for ridicule from others. More than likely...some idiot will say something negative just for the hell of it. Its unfortunate how people sitting behind a computer can just lash out and say horrible things in hopes to make you feel bad. Therefore, at the end of the day...you have to pick and choose what to post and what not to post because there are some mean and horrible people out there.

5. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People who claim to speak for God often have an inferiority complex and are acting out aggressively to compensate. They thrive on getting a reaction out of their victims. Starve him out by gnoring him and avoid confrontation.

6. AfraidandAlone

You do not have to tolerate intolerance

7. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

well... he isn't just being intolerant, he's persecuting you..

You do have the opportunity of reaching out to him and - basically - attempting to convert him.

May I ask, are you a Christian?

There is a lot of thought about how to discuss these things, as Christians, between LGBT Affirming Christings, and Unaffirming Christians. I would be happy to discuss this with you or anyone.

Is this someone u know in real life, or just on the web?

he may just be repeating what he is taught, or he is acting out on fear. You have the opportunity to reach out and help him if you want.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unfriend him! He has no right saying that to you and he is an abomination for saying you're an abomination! I'm really sorry he said that to you! (*hug*)

9. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

By the way - the "abomination" accusation comes from the Old Testament - Leviticus. Its an abused passage. There is a lot of interesting things to study about it, and the context, and the mistranslations from hebrew. Anyways - here is a nice short video about such things, although there is much more to be learned elsewhere :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhcIAXHz7GA

10. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Respect is a two way street

I'd block him and never talk to him again. Explaining wouldn't be worth the time (I could spend around better people) unless he was somehow important to me

11. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you want to do? You would be well within your rights to unfriend and block him, because his comments amount to a personal slur, but if you think you can make him see reason, it might be worth a try.

If he defends himself using the Old Testament book of Leviticus, it's probably not worth the effort. Alarm bells should ring out if somebody compares modern same sex relationships to the writings contained in the book of Leviticus.

12. anthracite

anthracite Guest

No need to tolerate intolerance. Unfriend.

13. Glowing Eyes

Basically