1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tried to cut myself with a bread knife

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Chocolate Cake, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Chocolate Cake

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It was too blunt anyway. Its not like I want to die. I don't even hate myself as much as I used to. I just fail, constantly. I have a really big procrastination problem and I am addicted to the internet. I always self-sabotage. i'm never going to get better. I'm such a failure.
    Why am i even posting this? I dunno. If I tell my friends they'll feel sad, or accuse me of attention-seeking. Maybe I am. probably. If I tell my family they'll probably feel guilty or something. I only ever hurt them.

2. Really

Pleeeease don't hurt yourself.

Why not try to parcel out some of the things you need/want to do? Make a list. Two things only. Then break down each thing into three small parts. And then set yourself a goal to do only one of those little tasks.

Worrying about everything as one big obstacle can be really daunting. Doing a handful of smaller "items" on your list will feel amazing. You'll see.

You are not a failure. Everyone feels like this at some point. Give yourself a break. Doing things one step at a time still gets them done. It's still an accomplishment no matter how you got there.

Even making the list is an accomplishment and a positive step in the right direction. Can you do that?

If you do feel like hurting yourself again, please tell somebody. You are hurting nobody by asking for help. And if anybody says you are, find someone else to tell because they are wrong.

3. Silver Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If self harm is an issue for you, I would recommend using a red marker to draw lines where you want to cut. Make sure it's non-toxic. It sorta helped me, if anything as a distraction, especially when I got artsy about it. The only problem? You have to wash it off or it may rub off all over your clothes. It's really hard to explain why "I hate you" is stained in calligraphy on your underwear. :eusa_doh:

I understand why talking to friends and family would be hard. Is talking to a psychiatrist an option?

4. Chocolate Cake

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you for the replies. They are both very helpful. I don't think I'm in a position to get a therapist right now but I will still use your advice for working - splitting it up into small portions and the like. I guess its just getting the better of me. The deadline is really close and I'm really packed with meetings or parties I need to go to. I think I should just say I can't go to one of the meet-ups because its stressing me out so much. I'll use the red line tactic to dealing with urges to self harm. Again - thank you for the replies, they've been so helpful.