1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College apps help?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Irrelevant Boy, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Irrelevant Boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey empty closets. So its that time of my life to start my college apps. If you didn't know, I am a closeted gay boy mainly because I fear my parents' complete rejection. To other people, I can be pretty gay. Anyways, the problem I have now is that my college application is asking me for my sexual orientation. I am having a crisis trying to figure out whether to put gay or just leave it blank. Would it give me a better chance to get into college? And what is the risk of doing this? I'm afraid my parents might see! Thanks.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why are they asking? That's nobody's business but yours

3. Irrelevant Boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It looks like colleges want to diversify their student body even further by accepting more LGBT+ students

4. Brytaleith

For the apps that I've seen asking for sexual orientation, they don't actually take it into account. But they do want it when they collate data about their students. As in, it should technically have no effect on your application, and is hidden from the admissions officers until they've decided to accept you.

I think there's some non-discrimination policy somewhere. You should check the school's website. If there is, indicating your sexual orientation should have no effect on your acceptance chances. If not, you might want to email the school about their stance on LGBTQ stuff.