1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBTQ+ club at school

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by nightowl88, Oct 25, 2016.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay so to start I had a youth leadership conference thing with my school today and one of the things we did was say something bad about our school and one of the things I had was acceptance of diversity especially related to sexuality and gender. I got the idea to start an LGBTQ+ club to help promote it at school. I was looking for some help though. I am not very good at these things and I don't really know what to do with this. First is LGBTQ+ the right term I'm horrible at keeping up with the right term for things and don't want to be incorrect. I have already found a teacher to be an advisor and my principle said if we come up with some goals he is all for it but I don't really know where to go from here. I have talked to some students already and am talking to more tomorrow but I am not exactly popular at school and my school doesn't really have any clubs or anything to get ideas for how to start from. I also worry people will look at this as a bunch of kids just goofing off and we have a big problem at my school with kids actually participating in clubs and activities other than sports. I really want to do this though because in the last year alone I know of at least 5 students to come out as bi or gay and 1 person is openly trans soon to be 2. I am tired of my schools lame attempts to spread support and acceptance through unity day and all of those things I mean wearing a specific color one day is often viewed as a joke at school and all I have seen that is specifically supporting diversity in school is like 2 posters on the wall. My school is really small so I'm not expecting to get a ton of people involved but I want some people to be and I am worried about people thinking it is only for LGBTQ+ people and I want this to be able to continue for a lot longer than my remaining couple of years. I was also hoping I could get some ideas for goals and things to do for the school since I have only heard of one other school near me who has done this I don't really know of anything. I am really excited for this and think it could be a great change to my school.

2. B a r e f o o t

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Since no one has answered and I can see you need help with this I will say the only thing I can, not having ever done anything like it. Perhaps you can research some similar school organizations online, get ideas and go from there. I would think there are many. That's the best I can do. Maybe someone will come along with better answers.

3. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

Hey! I'm glad I just saw this.

Dude, props to you!!!!! :slight_smile:

Awesome way to stand up, take initiave , and help people!!! :slight_smile:

OK - so keep going

One thing - you might , if you dont want this to be just or LGBTQ+, but straights as well, you might want to think about calling it a GSA - or, Gay Straight Alliance, or something similar

And if you use GSA or gay straight alliance as a search term , you will come up with stuff. I encourage you to research GSA's at other highschools (in new york, the north east, and other parts of the country) and ALSO at COLLEGES. Many colleges and universities have GSA's , and I bet 1. they are often better organized than most high school clubs and 2. I bet they would LOVE to help you!!!!!!!!

so like - find some good schools (NYU? Harvard? anything that suits your fancy ) And find their gay clubs and CONTACT THEM :wink:

also, make sure you adapt things to YOUR SCHOOL and its needs.

So - for goals, one GREAT one would be

1. EDUCATION !!

this can be education for students who come to the club, and for the COMMUNITY

you can 1. ORGANIZE

organize LITERATURE and EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS

organize handouts (for people who come to the club)

you can plan on days like club day, to set up a table and HAND OUT materials. Maybe make informational posters

you can ORGANIZE to create a LGBTQ+ BOOK section in the SCHOOL LIBRARY

you can ORGANIZE informational HANDOUTS to be kept in the SCHOOL NURSES office, the GUIDANCE COUNSELOURS OFFICE, and any where else (principals office? vice principal?)

you can ORGANIZE videos , to have available in the library as well, and to screen at the school.

you can show VIDEOS and MOVIES at club meetings, hold SPECIAL events to show movies (Free movie and popcorn today at lunch room #... etc, or similar)

you can ORGANIZE to do PRESENTATIONS to classes

say SEX EDUCATION classes, biology classes, social sciences classes, PHYSICAL EDUCATION classes, etc.

with handouts and information, and maybe a video.

So - education is really a great goal

You can have a goal of

2. SUPPORTING minority (LGBTQ+ ) students and creating a support organization for them with resources, and helping to support and build a LGBTQ+ community

3. you can create VISIBILITY for the LGBTQ+ community, and help spread AWARENESS

lets make that another goal (its a good one)

4. Spread AWARENESS

and also help build ideas of Role Models

you and also

5. FOSTER ACCEPTANCE in the community of minorities

you can also develop

6. RESOURCES for CONFLICT RESOLUTION in case any LGBTQ+ students feel bullied, harrased , or disciminated against.

You can also gather resources for outside organizations, and opportunities for LGBTQ+ people

You can also ORGANIZE to do outreach to PARENTS

perhaps you can throw and LGBTQ+ (or GSA) event for parents (and/or families)

you can perhaps host a meetin g in the evening when they can attend (wait until the organization gets strong for this, so you know you have some members already, and at least some of there parents will definitey attend (you need to make sure people actualy show up , esp the first one is hard)

You can also ask the school if you can speak at the normal PARENT NIGHT, or maybe set up a table somewhere on campus at the normal Parent Night and have handouts etc.

These are some basic things

and ideas

Also make sure since this club is new to POSTER THE SCHOOL with invites to the first meeting. Also ask teachers if you can give a short (5 minute) presentation to their classe s ANNOUNCING the new club and INVITING everyone. Give a brief explanation of LGBTQ+, the club, and a supportive, welcoming invite, etc.

FIND OTHER STUDENTS who are ACTIVE in the school community.

GO TO other clubs like COMMUNITY SERVICE clubs, and network to find people to WORK on your projects and HELP. ASK FOR HELP

GO TO the student council, the student president, etc, and do the same

Hope this is a good start, and when I figure out how to make PMs work on here, feel free to contact me!! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 29th Oct 2016 at 01:46 PM ----------

p.s. Schedule meetings for LUNCH as well as AFTER SCHOOL. Apply for funding as a studdent activity - BUY PIZZA :wink: Take care!! :slight_smile:

p.s. tap into your local PFLAG organization :slight_smile: Go there, and ask them for support :slight_smile:

4. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

p.s. here's a great resource to distribute at your school

Teacher’s Guide to Inclusive Education (2015)

they have similar stuff too. Take care - PMs are apapratently frozen for new members? so feel free to post on my wall :slight_smile:

Resources - IGLYO

5. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was going to post a response, but FalconFalcon did such a good job at answering everything, I think it would be redundant. Props to you Falcon :thumbsup:

About the only other thing that I can add is when you get involved with your local PFLAG organization, make sure that you get pamphlets from them to keep at your school for those who are coming out to give to their friends/family/etc. Having something tangible to give to others while coming out for the first time is more helpful than most people give it credit for.