1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much per month to live in USA?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by John C89, Oct 28, 2016.

1. John C89

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok, to be more specific, I have this plan to move to US in the future, and I know more or less how to do it. But I'm afraid on how much do you need to earn to make a living in, let's say, california or new york. Do you need to be rich?

2. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Can I ask your age and what you do for work? I maybe can provide a better answer.

3. John C89

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi!

I'm 24 right now, and almost finishing the medschool. However, I have a plan of saving money and becoming an investor (that's my way to get the Green card, by the EB-5 program). At this moment I will be way older for sure, but still, I like to understand things and seek for information in advance. Plus, if everything happens to be alright, I can recover the investment, and use it (it would be something near half a million dollars). But then, I don't know if I would try to do a masters program and work as a teacher/researcher or something else.... sorry if this was too long.

#3 John C89, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    California and New York are, on average, two of the most expensive states out of all of them to live in. X.X You might find good areas there where it's cheaper, but it would take some good looking.

To be financially secure though, you're looking at about $1000 USD a month as a barest minimum for everything (you can count on rent being up to 90% of that or more in expensive neighborhoods), and closer to ~2000 for there to be a little wiggle room.

#4 Argentwing, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    California's average rent is $2000 US dollars per month. It's even expensive to live in the ghetto. New York depending on where you live really. If you live in the city rent can be as much as $3,000 a month. However not all of New York is expensive. There are some decently cheap places on New York like Utica and a few others.

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say Ontario would be a better place to go. I'd also say UK but you're apparently already there so..?

Violence and hate are too prevalent here for me but if you're willing to risk it go at it I guess, just don't neglect the research. Cali and New York are both rather expensive, even living in the "middle of nowhere" where I am things are pretty unaffordable and we're having problems keeping this house that won't even keep the bugs and heat out.

I don't know about some of the other states though, there's probably some decently affordable places here and there but finding both decent prices and decent people would be a real challenge.

If you're already going halfway around the world yeah, I'd say check out the country right above, as long as you can take the cold it's a direct upgrade.

7. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have lived in California my whole life and yes the big cities are rather expensive, I live in a small town and my rent is 800 but its a nice house. If you can work from home or something it is a great place to live. I personally would not move to a city in California if I didn't have a decent amount of money, which I don't.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no meaningful average because the numbers are all over the map. In California rent for a 1bdrm apartment can be $3500-5000 in San Francisco, or $600 in the northern, rural part of the state. But in the most inexpensive parts of California, I'd say a minimum of $1500-2000 a month is needed if you want to, say, have a car, pay for health insurance, and not be eating ramen noodles and rice and beans all the time. :slight_smile:

9. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In SE Minnesota my house payment for a small place built in 1918 with a lot of my manual labor bring it to an updated country style is 300.01 per month with 650.00 per year taxes. It all depends on where you want to live! The taxes on my 32 acres of bare farmland are 1700.00 /year

10. Starscream67

If countries could do "trades" like sports teams, I'd let you trade places with me. I'd love to get away from here and move to the UK. To answer your question though, it costs me about $1000 a month just to exist and I live in one of the poorer parts of the south. I would imagine you'd have to be rich to even begin thinking about living in NY or LA. Could be wrong, though...

11. John C89

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    To be fair, I'm from Brazil actually lol I created my profile months ago because I was studying in Uk for a gap year....now I'm back to my bigoted country where I can die for being gay (the highest murder rates of LGBT people on Earth...google it) and unhappy....since California seems warm, I would guess it's more similar to Brazil, culturally speaking, than UK, so less chances of cultural shock and depression..... and maybe I could have more freedom on being myself

---------- Post added 31st Oct 2016 at 05:32 AM ----------

All in all, don't look so expensive to my eyes. If I can save all this amount of money as a physician like I'm planning, it can take long, but I would still be 38...and with that I could have 2k per month for 20 years, without doing nothing....still I wonder if I could find jobs (not as a physician though, since the process to be a foreigner doctor there seems hard as hell)

12. John C89

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No more tips people? :frowning2:

13. robclem21

It seems like you are not planning to move for 20 years or so. A lot can change in that time. I think any more details at this time are a little premature. Maybe see how things are going closer to when you are realistically able to relocate.