1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking Up By Using Text Message?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Trace1496, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Trace1496

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I would like to ask ya'll's opinions. This guy I have been dating decided to break up with me over text. He didn't call, or tell me to my face. Also I just went to go visit him in his city (we live two hours apart), and he acted like everything was great. When we parted this morning..he kissed me and I left. Later on in the afternoon I sent a text message saying "I Miss you. Do you miss me?" He then responded with the breakup message.

So my question to ya'll is, is it ever okay to break up with someone over text message?

2. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I mean yeah the "Hey, I'm not feeling it for us anymore and, we really need to talk" text yeah but, not outright dump you via text.

To me, that shows cowardice and, unwillingness or, inability to face the consequences of his actions and, that's almost as bad a lying. Sometimes you do have to be the one to end a relationship but, have the courage and decency to do it face to face.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only understand it if you are in a long-distance relationship, and can't actually be face to face.

On the other hand, it seems cowardly to do it over text for any other reason.

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Trace1496,

That is definitely a sh*tty way to break up. I’m sorry that you are experiencing it.

As DAFriend indicated, it shows an extreme lack of character and moral fortitude on the part of your now-ex to not at least have told you to your face that he wanted to break up with you – especially if he just pretended that everything was completely fine when you were face-to-face this morning. From what you wrote, I take it that he didn’t even bother to explain why he was breaking up with you?

5. Trace1496

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He said he was breaking up with me because he and I were very different, and he didn't think we were compatible. I am not sure he would have even texted me if I had asked him if he missed me or not..

6. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's just an awful way to end a relationship, Trace1496.:icon_sad:

At a minimum, he should owe you a clear explanation so that you can have some closure and move on without having to dwell on your anger over how this went down or constant reflection about what went wrong - let alone having to worry about this experience making you gunshy and reluctant to get into a new relationship any time soon.

Realistically, why was it his decision alone (and without discussion) that the two of you are not compatible? Every relationship requires open communication and give and take. It would have been much simpler for both of you if he'd been open about his concerns so that you the two of you could have discussed his issues and either resolved them mutually satisfactorily or mutally have decided the relationship would not work out long-term.

Again, I'm sorry that you had that experience.

7. Trace1496

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you Quantumreality. I agree with you. He should have been open and honest with me before I left. He didn't give me a choice. The funny thing is we went out the night before I left to a club, and danced together, and I was still under the impression that we were doing great. Alas I was let down again.

8. PlaidGlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Breaking up via text is disrespectful and cowardly.

It happened to me once. I decided to grab the bull by its horns and called her up straight away. My voice was shaking, I was trembling with anger over the disrespect she showed me.

"That's not something you do," I told her. "You at least call." We hadn't been dating for a long time, just a couple of dates, but we had known each other platonically for much, much longer.

Please do not think it reflects on your worth, because it only reflects on his cowardice and immaturity. That's all. You deserve someone who respects you and your feelings.

9. Trace1496

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    PlaidGlove, I appreciate what you said, and the encouraging words. I was very upset last night because I did feel disrespected, and I felt like he didn't respect me enough to have atleast pick up the phone and call me.

10. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Breaking up via a text message is cold and wrong. You deserved better.

11. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think its totally inconsiderate, tacky and disrespectful. For you to had just visited him in person and he waited until you left to send you a break up text..to me...that's a bitch move. Therefore, he's not worth it and you can do so much better. When you look back on this situation...you will understand that sometimes...things like this happens in order for something or someone much better to come into your life who will be so much better than what you just had. Again..you deserve better and you will get better...just wait and see.

12. Trace1496

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    JonSomebody, you are right. I do deserve better. He acted like a complete gentlemen while I was up there, so when he sent me that text it threw me for a loop. Therefore, I have concluded that just because a guy acts like a gentlemen to my face, it doesn't mean he is one!

13. boxinggirl87

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As disrespectful as it is, I fear this is something that is soon going to be rather common. My ex and I were together for 5 years, we didn't live together. Long story on that one. After the first month though I wasn't feeling it and broke up with her in person. 5 years down the road she broke up with me in text.

14. YeahpIdk

I think it's okay to break up with someone over text if that person feels threatened physically or emotionally. Hopefully that wasn't the case with you.

It is sucky. Some people are immature and don't know how to confront emotions. Be glad that you saw their true colors and try to spend as much time being sad about the relationship as they did forming that text message.

Feel better!

#14 YeahpIdk, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  15. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unfortunately, you are right. It seems that there are people who are jumping on this stupid bandwagon of breaking up via text message. I just feel that the person that you are breaking up with deserves to be respected. The only situation that I feel that texting is valid if the other partner has tendencies to become physically violent.

16. Trace1496

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can see breaking up with someone via text because of fear of physical abuse, but other than that...their is no excuse

17. robclem21

How long were you dating? If it was just a few dates/a few weeks then I don't think it is as bad as everyone is making it seem.

If you were together for any longer than that though I agree with the general consensus here..

18. Trace1496

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I honestly don't think it matters how long we were dating. He was lying to my face, pretending he still wanted to be with me (kissing me) before I left to go back home, and then fast forward 7 hours later he dumps me via text.

19. robclem21

Ok well if this was the first time you ever met him in person then I don't think its as bad as you are making it out to be. I understand that you are hurt and yes, it is not the best thing to do, but a relationship that only existed in real life for maybe a week doesn't need to be treated the same as one lasting years... I was just trying to gather more information to understand why he maybe thought it was alright.

#19 robclem21, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  20. Trace1496

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I never said we had only been dating him for a week. We actually dated a few months.