1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there something wrong with me?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Lewnatic, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Lewnatic

Hopefully I will be able to put into words how I'm feeling. I've begun to notice a recurring pattern in my relationships in that I fall very quickly, and it's beginning to take its toll on me mentally. I have always been a very sensitive person, I can't take rejection very well, and when heartbreak hits me it hits me very hard to the point where it consumes my every waking thought. I have never had a long term relationship because things have never progressed that far. My relationships tend to flatten around the 2 month mark, and it is always me who is dumped. I grow attached very quickly, which often leads me to think it may be the idea of someone I am in love with and not the actual person. I have low self-confidence and feel empty when I am not dating someone, being able to let that excitement of lust take over me. I have quite low self-esteem, despite being told I am a handsome, loyal, nice guy. But nice guys finish last, especially in the world of gay dating.

I don't have a lot of friends, though the ones I do I am very close to. My friends tell me it's because I'm dating the wrong people, my mum tells me I try too hard, my sister tells me I just haven't met "the right one" yet. I can't help but feel these are just excuses to avoid making me feel bad. I am just not good at relationships, and I'm starting to feel like I never will be. My most recent "relationship", for example, ended just after 6 weeks. We were friends for a few months beforehand, so it formed very naturally and this time I thought it would stick. After 6 weeks of dating, he asked me to be his boyfriend...and then two days later changed his mind because "it didn't feel right." To some this may seem less to do with me and more to do with him...but I just don't see it like that. I feel like I have done something.

I just don't think I can take feeling like this anymore. I know life is all about rejection and we have to take it in our stride, but I cannot face another heartbreak. What should I do?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

2. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

" feel empty when I am not dating someone"

This is what's wrong..

Your relationships aren't healthy, and it's because there is something going on with you - it's like, your relationship with yourself isnt healthy, and then your relationships with others are effected.

This is VERY common.

I highly encourage you to research Codependency - and also check out stuff like CODA and Al-Anon

In the words of someone else "Honey, you ain't married yet, because you ain't SINGLE yet. You got to be Good and SINGLE before you can get married."

Take good care :slight_smile:

Take it easy - it gets better :slight_smile:

3. Lewnatic

I completely agree with you, if I'm honest. However... CODA and Al-Anon...? Is that really appropriate if I'm not an alcoholic?