1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get an appointment with a Therepist? Kaiser

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TanMan, Oct 30, 2016.

1. TanMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I am a Kaiser member out here in Northern California. Back in 2011, I was seeing a therapist for depression, but it ended once I hit 18 years old. Now that I have come to terms with being gay, I would really like to talk to someone about it to get it off my chest. I have never said anything to him about that when I was going, so its just been bottling up inside me (except for telling my older brother and two cousins back in August). I always told myself that i would bring it up the next time, but then I found out that my appointments had stopped. How do I go about doing this? I log into my Kaiser account, yet I can only make an appointment with my regular physician. Also, how could I do this without my parents finding out? Maybe it wont be so bad if they find out that I want to do this when I come out to them though. I will be coming out to them within the next two weeks when my brother comes gets back from his honeymoon.

I would really appreciate some advice if anyone knows anything about this. I just need to get this off my chest.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

I'm also in norcal, with Kaiser as my provider. Once you're logged, in, search "Behavioral health care in Northern California" in the search bar, and that will bring up a list of their behavioral health centers. You have to call to make an appointment.

Unfortunately, Kaiser is really substandard with mental health care. They do have therapists and a mental health department, but in general, the therapists are heavily focused on very short-term CBT, which is oriented on finding immediate band-aids to the feelings you're having, rather than actually helping you solve the underlying problems. Not ideal for dealing with coming-out issues.

Additionally, they do everything possible to drastically limit the number of sessions and the frequency with which you can schedule them... once a month or less isn't uncommon, unless you manage to get scheduled with one of the few therapists there who are really dedicated to providing exceptional care.

Depending on where you are in norcal, I might be able to point you to some free or very low-cost community mental health options for therapy.