1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did counselling help you?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CL1990, Nov 1, 2016.

1. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, i am quite scared/excited. I am a closeted lesbian who has never come out to any friends or family. I have a counselling appointment booked in the next weeks and i am slightly nervous as, although i have never talked to anyone about how i feel, i am 100% convinced i will have to open up as much as possible to my cousellor. I was wondering if anyone who has gone to couselling can offer any tips and if you believed it helped you at all.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated, i am proud of myself for giving this babystep but i am also very scared. I feel like once i start this process there will be no going back

2. Trace1496

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would advise to be open and honest with your counselor. It would help you greatly to do so, because then your counselor can best give you advice. Try to be as calm as you can be, and realize that the counselor is there to help you which is why openness and honesty are two very important things when talking with your counselor.

3. Linkmaste

Hello!

First the councilor will ask what is the problem. I am hoping I am correct in saying that you booked the appointment in relation to your sexuality.

Start simple with your story. She can pick apart things later but this first part is you getting it all out. She shouldn't interrupt you until you're done so don't worry.

Act natural and don't be afraid to be open. There's patient confidential clauses that are super strict. Especially sexuality bur you are most welcome to ask your therapist about it.

You'll do good. Keep us posted.

4. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Going to counseling was one of the best things that I have done for myself. It was really hard at first but it was definitely worth it in the end

5. B a r e f o o t

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It helped me a lot. I got some things worked out, received some great ideas and as a side benefit, but by no means trivial, I found out about an LGBT group that I joined. Where I am there's not much gay social life. I thought there was none, but my counselor knew about a group that travels to different venues each month. Restaurants, bars, movies, shows, always something different and the best part is I now have a way to meet people. I want a boyfriend and mow maybe I'll meet someone local. A counselor helps you organize your thoughts and emotions in a logical manner, set priorities and identify goals and see ways to accomplish them. It's an uplifting experience. I wish you well.

6. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Quoted for truth. I went to a counselor for a couple years, and I found it useless until I completely opened up to them, and then it helped me tremendously. (Granted my issues related more to general depression, but part of that was being closeted to so many people that I was around on a daily basis was one of the underlying issues)

OP: I know it can be very difficult, but try to come out to your counselor the first day you are there, or you will more than likely be wasting your time and money until you do. Just be open an honest and you will be amazed how much help it can be (*hug*)

#6 TXTurbo90, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  7. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys, thank you all for you responses, much appreciated! This councelling sessions i have are through the free medical services in the uk. For this reason, you get assigned automatically a coucellor that might or might not have a LGBT focus. In my case, from what i have read on mine,she doesnt but i am hopping she will be able to help me help myself either way. Will keep you posted

8. RainydayTofu

RainydayTofu Guest

I went to counselling a few years ago for a bit, and I didn't really get a lot out of it (I still think you should go, but I'm going to list the mistakes I me below so you can hopefully have a better experience)

Firstly I had a problem saying what I wanted to say, which is my problem, not a problem with the counsellor I think. This lead to the counsellor trying to second-guess what I wanted to say, and -inevitably- getting it wrong!

The other thing is that I wish I'd seen a male counsellor. Actually my counsellor kept asking me if I wanted to see a male counsellor instead but I was too embarrassed to say!

Let us know how you get on if you go as I've been thinking I should give it amother go :slight_smile:

9. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey...im the author of the post and since you asked me to tell you how it. Went here it goes....i went today to my first session. It hasnt been easy and i feel very akward but i have come out to my theraspist within the first 5 minutes...i have been as open as i possibly can and although i feel wierd now i think it cant really get any worse than how i have felt in the past...
    I know from what she has told me and the feeling i got that is not going to be easy as i am my worst enemy and i have been dealing with all this alone for so long but i think deep inside i am a strong...will have to wait and see..hope this encourages anyone in a similar situation

10. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to admit that prior to considering going to counseling that I was very afraid about pursuing it because in my family this is not something that you do and it was considered a taboo subject matter. However, after discussing it with several of the doctors that I had at that time and upon their recommendations...I decided to give it a try and I am so happy that I did. I highly recommend it.

11. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In most cases, you get out of counselling, what you put into it. I'm afraid many people turn up expecting it to be like a painless chat that resolves a set of issues, not realising how much effort they have to put into the process.

It can be tough and uncomfortable and you may hear things that you don't like or care for. It's often at this point in the process that people walk away, but if you're really determined and you dig deep and endure you can achieve a lot and become a stronger more resilient person.