1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSA Clubs in College (QSA) Question

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TanMan, Nov 2, 2016.

1. TanMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So at my local Community College they have an LGBT club (Gay Straight Alliance). I've never joined any clubs before, and after finally accepting myself a couple months ago, I'm really eager to join. How do clubs like these work? What do they do exactly? I visited their website, and it seems like they rarely post, and their Facebook seems like it's updated every couple of weeks.

I'm really nervous about something like this because I'm not fully out yet. I will be telling my parents in the next few weeks, and I'll be coming out on FB in the next couple months.

How do you even join? Is the best thing to do just contact them via their email or Facebook?

I just want to be apart of something. I've felt so alone growing up, and now I finallly accept who I am.

2. yuanzi

Look up their email(s) if they have any and just email them, or drop them a private fb message.

As for what they do, it really depends. My uni has a few different lgbt related organizations (like lgbt club for law school students, stem students etc) and unfortunately the one I am associated with does not organize a lot of activities. I guess it is probably because everyone is busy all the time.

I don't know about your college, but my uni has general lgbt socials where everyone is welcome so you don't have to be associated with any specific club. All the lgbt students I have encountered so far are incredibly friendly so there is really nothing you need to worry about in my opinion.

3. smurf

It varies from club to club, but its usually a combination of social activities, educational events, and support system for people. Like most college groups, they usually meet weekly and come up with different ways to get people engaged.

The main purpose, like any club, is to get like-minded people together to hang out. About what they specifically do is up to the leadership of the group. Some can be political or some can be just about fun. Students are the ones leading these groups so it is totally up to them

Most LGBT groups understand that different people are in different levels of being out. You will get a chance of meeting other people who are not fully out yet either and some people who are more out than you will ever want to be. You will have the chance to learn from everyone there, but no one will be pushing you to come out or shame you for not being out.

These are student led groups, which means sometimes they can be a bit messy. Your best bet is to figure out when they meet and just show up for the meeting.

If that is too daunting, email someone or send a FB message to say that you are interested to join. If it makes you feel better, ask to see if you can meet with one of the leaders right before the meeting so make it less stressful for you

Good luck and congrats on taking the next step :slight_smile:

4. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I go to the QSA club at my school, and it's fun. We hang out, eat food, play games, talk about issues, plan events - all kinds of stuff. They're really cool about pronouns and acceptance. Not everyone there is queer, so if anyone asks, you can say you're just supporting the community.