1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I too ungrateful ?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by andimon, Nov 9, 2016.

1. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really like my family. My parents & brothers are fairly homophobic which caused me to naturally drift apart from them in order to not risk suffering later on (probably a defense mechanism).

I've been, thus, deprived of a normal, healthy childhood. I'm aware I'll also probably encounter emotional issues in life, which might affect relationships (be them of sexual nature or not).

However, I've also had it better than other people, with access to education, shelter, warm clothing and so on. My question is, am I entitled to being ungrateful for whatever it is that I got or should I appreciate my family for doing what they can?

Am I right to expect more of what should be a loving environment and not a distant, tense, emotionally abusive atmosphere?

2. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I grew up in a similar home. yeah, I appreciate that they provided my basic needs for the first 17 years of my life but, the abuse and preaching i endured to stay there negates and gratitude I might have felt toward them.

Now, knowing the aftermath I have to live with and, the issues that upbringing caused for me, I have nothing but contempt for what they did to me. So thank them for making life more difficult and, leaving em with scars that affect every relationship I have or will ever have? Hardly - I hate them for that.

You know that's okay with me, no one should feel obligated to thank anyone that hurt them in any way, ever, not for any reason.

3. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have a similar situation to you, and it's led to me nearly killing myself and given me an inferiority complex. It's just a different kind of struggle. So no, you're not being ungrateful. You are acknowledging that you are lucky to have what you have- and that you are grateful for it. You have no obligation to love your family if they have no love for you.