1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever met someone who taught you something you didn't know about yourself

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Shasta, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    Meeting this woman may have taught me something about myself that I wasn't aware of. Usually when someone has such profound it's because they teach me something. I have to admit it scares me, but she is teaching me something. I have already done things I would never imagine. Do you I regret meeting no because I would have never been pushed outside my comfort zone. I have learned many things about myself

Have you ever met some like this? If so what did they teach you? Are they still in your life today?

2. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I RARELY share this with anyone but since you brought up this topic and it being one that is close to my heart. I will share this one with you. Like many people...I had a habit of singing in the shower or around the house when I was alone. In my teenage years, many of my family members used to lash out at me in a very negative way about my singing and the fact of the matter was that it was never something that I took seriously...I would just do it for my own entertainment and for fun.

However, one night while working at the club..a DJ had came in and ask me to give him a ride to pick up his car from the dealership. Since I had gotten to the club way earlier than expected...I told him okay. While driving to the dealership...I had a playlist of some of my favorite songs playing and subconsciously I was humming along to one of the songs quietly I thought to myself. When we had stopped at a red light...the DJ grabbed my hand and told me that I had a really good voice and why I never performed in any of the open mic shows that he held at the club? I looked at him and started laughing hysterically. He looked at me very curiously as if he didn't comprehend to why I was laughing so hard. I told him you don't have to say that...I do not sing. The thing is that this guy was also a recording engineer for one of the local record studios here in town and he insisted that I should pursue singing. Again...I thanked him but declined the offer.

Once he picked up his car from the dealership...we both headed back to the club. He thanked me and offered to take me out to dinner soon to show his appreciation towards me coming to his aid. I declined but he insisted. Anyway..as the night progressed...it was time to start the open mic show. This was one of the most popular weekly events at the club because the winner won 250.00 and all their drinks for free the rest of the evening. Once the show began...this DJ had called me up to the stage. Everyone in the club knew me but they were shocked and surprise at the fact that I would get onstage and sing more than myself. I was shocked that he did this and immediately declined to do so. Instead of him leaving it alone...he got all the customers in the club to encourage me on as well as the owner of the club whom had showed up unexpectedly early that night. I told the owner I do not sing ...but she was like apparently you got something because DJ would not have taken an interest in you if you didn't.

Everyone including my fellow bartenders were applauding for me to on the stage and sing. DJ had already picked out a song that he wanted me to perform. It was a good thing that I already knew the song but I was nervous that my hands began to sweat. I grudgingly got up on stage and once the music started...I began to sing the song. The whole club came to a complete hush and all of them were fixated on me up on stage singing this song. I closed my eyes and just imagined I was in the shower singing this song. Once the song was over...I got a standing ovation and my heart was beating out of my chest. This ovation went on for about a couple of minutes. The DJ approached me with a huge hug and whispered in my ear...I knew you could sing..look at that crowd!!!

Well...needless to say..I won the open mic contest that night and I have recorded demos and done private shows since that evening due to the DJ introducing me to important people in the city and having them hear my demos and then they would ask me to perform at special events. I have even done a few Gay Pride events as well. Not to go any further with talking about this...DJ is the person that I met who taught me something about myself that I didn't think had the effect or impact that it did due to the fact that my family always told me that I was horrible. However, with the unexpected push from DJ...I have won a lot of singing contests and have made some good money appearing at private functions. Yet...I still laugh about it and do not take it seriously the way a lot of people think I should.

3. Asking

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
  4. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, and those few are the friends I values most in my life. The ones that encourage me to try something new, step out of my comfort zone, live life to the fullest. Invariably I learn something about myself, and about them as well.