1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting privacy from my brothers

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by nightowl88, Nov 13, 2016.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay so I have a huge issue with getting privacy from my brothers. House is a weird layout upstairs where the stairs lead straight into the bathroom and then you have to go through the bathroom to get to my room and through my room to get to my brothers rooms so the only one of us who gets privacy is my brother on the end. Now at one point I had that room on the end but one of my brothers broke the window on it so I refuse to have it now because it gets really cold in the winter. My issue is that I neither of my brothers can remember to knock when entering my room. Now if they were really little it would be understood but they are 12 and 15 and I neither of them have figured it out no matter how much I yell at them and I'm sick of it. The amount of times they have walked in on me changing is ridiculous and then they get mad when I don't get up until 15 minutes before we have to leave in the morning but I can't start getting dresses until then because they won't knock and are constantly in and out of their rooms all morning. Now my 15 year old brother has gotten better when coming from the bathroom but since there is no door coming from the other side of my room the only way I know he's coming is when I hear his door open. I am lookin for some advice on teaching them to knock all the time and getting them to stop using the thought that I'm out of my room as an excuse.

2. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unlikely that you will get them to knock if through your room is the only path to their rooms and, it doesn't bother them if you walk in on them changing. You may be better off considering a privacy screen or curtain to dress behind with that layout of the house.

I grew up in a home where I had to share a sleeping room with my two sisters and, we each had privacy screens for dressing, so that might be the simpler, easier option.

3. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you could set some ground rules, it's your room after all. make a compromise between your brothers.if that doesn't work out, i agree with DA, get some short of screen/curtain, decorate a bit.
    I grew up with 7 people in a apartment , i know how irritating it is, not getting any kind of privacy.