1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shattered, ashamed, feeling like a failure

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Ruby Dragon, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As is the case with most of you here, my family is very homophobic. To the point where they blatantly disregard the LGBT community's feelings to make us look like filth, like people who don't deserve to breathe the same air, and just generally make us feel horrible.

We had a braai (barbeque) with family on Saturday, and my openly lesbian cousin and I got to talking about Pride (I went with her, her girlfriend and a few other people) and about general acceptance within our family, etc. She said she agrees that it's very hard, and we just had a really nice chat, after which I felt empowered and normal.

However, that was short-lived. We took my dad's two sisters out for lunch yesterday, and towards the end of main course, they somehow started talking about gays in the workplace, etc. Their disgust made me feel horrible, worthless and ashamed. I wanted to say something but I'd probably end up in tears because it felt like their words were daggers, being driven through my heart. Every single homophobic comment from them just made me feel worse and worse. I gave my mom (who I'm out to) the stink-eye but she didn't stop. She just kept bashing the LGBT community and I wanted to scream.

They just have zero respect for people who are "different" than what they deem "normal". She again bashed Pride events, but what the fuck is new??? I'm just really hurt by what she said, all the while knowing that her bisexual daughter is sitting across from her, and can hear every little homophobic word.

I hate that they can't just accept that there are LGBT people living amongst them, and hate how they are so fucking fixated on being homophobic and bashing the Community every fucking chance they get. It really hurts. I'm fighting back the tears as I'm typing this.................... Whoops, too late :tears: :tears: :tears:

2. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aw honey this sucks it really does. I have friends like this so I can relate to some extent, but I think family is tougher. First of all try to remember that you are in the right. Try forgiving them if possible. Journal, rant, post on ec, or message me. Why are they homiphobid? For example my friends are homophobic bc they're religious. Seek to understand. Work on getting to a calm point where you can start calling them out. That should actually help empower you as well. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My family is very religious. Don't get me wrong, I am too, and have been struggling with how to juggle religion and sexuality. Somehow I made it work. However, they are stubborn as fuck and won't ever budge. It sucks knowing that the people closest to you will never accept the REAL you, all because of how they were raised. Sigh.......

Oh, and I have to add, my sister explicitly told me the following: "If you live that lifestyle, I will no longer be your sister" This cut deep, and it's only us two. So it's not like I can replace her with another sibling. So yeah, pretty much fucked as far as same-sex dating is concerned

#3 Ruby Dragon, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016