1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Conversion Therapy"

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Guff, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Guff

I've recently-ish come out to my conservative parents. My dad is taking it okay, but my mom is pretty pissed. LOL
    I begged my mom to check out Pflag, she agreed if I in return did the first "lesson" in a "conversion therapy" book she bought. So, I had to read about these weird stories about "What made him gay" which was so stupid. It was stuff like "Bob chose to be a homosexual because his parents didn't give him attention" or "John chose the homosexual lifestyle because his big sister always shadowed over him making him more feminine"
    It was a very stupid read, it was almost kinda funny on some parts. Like apparently if your dad gives you no attention you become gay because you are "seeking a male". Or your dad gave you to much attention making you "Prone to male love" LOL So basically according to this book, pretty much everyone should be gay if its "reasons" were true.
    Than came the "homework" where I had to write an essay on possible things that "made me gay" and I wrote "Nothing" which pissed my mom off. LOL
    I than had to watch this video that had terrible acting about homosexuals that was made in like the 80's with a boy who liked a guy. He told his parents, his busy dad stopped being so busy and played catch with him. LOL Than miraculously the boy became straight LOL
    It was so hilarious honestly...
    I only agreed to do just the 1 chapter, so I'm done. LOL Has anyone else ever had to try anything as stupid as this to change? I feel like I wasted my day..

2. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh boy... if they're making you do this kind of stuff, keep an eye on them. There are very questionable organizations that cater to this branch of insanity and the results are often horrifying. People will send their children out to be abused because they can't stand to put in the effort to understand.

It's comical and all how far they are from reality but... "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."

I would say from this excerpt alone they are already unworthy of your trust.

4. Guff

Thankfully my dad is trying to understand where I'm coming from and doesn't really want me doing those "lessons". It's just my mom, I think it'll be good that she saw me at least "try". I mean I did, I read it extremely open mindedly. Up until something like "Larry's AIDS was his deserved punishment for his male lusts", I will admit at that point I stopped taking it seriously... LOL.....

Hopefully she holds up her end of the deal and actually checks out Pflag

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I told you about Exodus International in a previous thread Guff, so it would be good to keep in mind what came of them. Nearly 40 years of attempting to repair people's homosexuality with a final admission of failure and an apology for what they had done. Don't forget that!

6. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Guff,

If your Dad is trying to understand and is being supportive that is great! Hopefully, your Mom will actually check out PFLAG. If she does so seriously, it could help with her acceptance.

Since you found the materials in the Conversion Therapy book to be so ridiculously inaccurate, maybe you can just consider that you read a funny chapter and watched a funny video today with the (hopefully) positive net result that your Mom will be checking out PFLAG.

Stay strong, my friend!:slight_smile:

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The conversion therapy "workbooks" are ridiculous and insulting to the intelligence because... they're produced by people with no intelligence. :slight_smile:

That might be a little harsh, but fundamentally, it's true. There's no science to any of their stuff, just some disproven theory pulled out of someone's ass.

I think you were extremely patient and cooperative with your mom. Hopefully she will now honor her part of the deal.

8. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These books are stupid because they believe anything can make you gay. Dad gave you too much attention? Gay, because you long for a male figure. Dad didn't give you enough attention? Gay, because you long for the male figure you lacked. It's....ridiculous.

9. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

" maybe you can just consider that you read a funny chapter and watched a funny video today "

yeah guff.... consider it a lesson in a bizarre and freakish episode of history ;P

like when they said they built an "unsinkable" ship aka the Titanic.... and it sank on its first trip out of the harbor.....

Take care :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 14th Nov 2016 at 07:27 PM ----------

or THIS episode in history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_a_sucker_born_every_minute

:slight_smile:

10. Guff

I'm really starting to wonder why I'm fighting the therapy. I mean, to say it hasn't worked for anyone else doesn't necessarily mean it absolutely can't work for me. But it'll never work if I don't try..

Trying would take so much effort.. Not trying would take just as much effort to defend myself about it. Either way takes so much effort and I don't got anything left in me to give

11. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Come on, Guff! You KNOW why. Because it's wrong and it doesn't work. It CAN'T work.

It really sounds like depression is leading you to try to rationalize this irrational thing. That is not the way to happiness.

The way to happiness is to be yourself, get your depression under control, and get out of there as soon as you can so that you can live your own life.

When do you get to see your therapist next?

12. Guff

I see my therapist on Wednesday for the 1st time in what feels like forever, I'm weirdly excited to see him. I know therapist aren't friends. But I'm so lonely I'll be thrilled to talk to a none judgemental person even if he's obligated to be that way lol

13. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See, Guff, he can help you understand what you are going through and offer coping mechanisms. You only started your treatment and counseling for your depression recently so give it a chance.

14. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guff, don't even try conversion therapy, please. I've seen the aftermath of what it does to people. It doesn't work but it does some serious damage, the kind that leaves lifelong scars.

My BFF went through conversion therapy, at his parents insistence. I'm not going to get into the details of the aftermath but, it is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. I'm just thankful my friend survived and, is mostly okay now. And yes still gay.

15. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know it seems really funny at first, but don't get any further than the ridiculous reasons and stupid stuff. The stuff that goes on in conversion therapy is awful. There's a reason suicide rates are so high.

But yeah, there's some stupid reasons people create for why you're gay. My grandmother claimed that my mother turned me gay by letting me wear too much black. :lol:

16. killswitch0029

Therapy's not a good option. They give you drugs and shock you to make you feel ill/pain when dealing with or viewing anything "not straight." It doesn't "cure the gay" it fucks up your mind and body and kills a part of you on the inside.

This is just going off from what I've heard from some sources, not sure if all "conversion" therapy is like this, but it's bad news regardless.

#16 killswitch0029, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  17. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Guff, my self sought experience was with a Pastor who devised his own system based on the AA twelve set program. To gain a foot hold against you depression you have to be yourself! Later found out the Pastor was gay! lol!

18. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

"I'm really starting to wonder why I'm fighting the therapy. I mean, to say it hasn't worked for anyone else doesn't necessarily mean it absolutely can't work for me. But it'll never work if I don't try.."

Guff you are fighting it because you know it is harmful to you. Good work!! :slight_smile: Keep defending yourself, do what you have to do :slight_smile:

"Trying would take so much effort.. Not trying would take just as much effort to defend myself about it. Either way takes so much effort and I don't got anything left in me to give"

Break time!!!

Get some sleep, eat some good food, spend some time in nature, do something relaxing, do something fun, get some support - keep yourself in good shape , well taken care of!! :slight_smile:

Its really good you have awareness of when you are running out of steam and hitting empty. Use that, to support yourself and defend yourself :slight_smile:

Can you do stuff like start making lists of things you can do to feel better?

for relaxation, or fun? anyting?

bake cookies? shoot hoops? a video game? favorite books? comics? supportive youtube videos? watch birds? walk barefoot? yoga? favorite healthy foods? What do you find helpful?

sometimes zoning out and watching TV for a bit, or a good movie can help give your mind a much needed rest.

And make sure you get enough sleep and rest :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Take care Guff!!!!! :slight_smile:

19. Blender

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's all terrible exercises in repression and can't help in the end. I got put through a bit of it without my prior knowledge when I got my first psychiatrist after attempting to commit suicide at 12. Psychiatrist's decision alone, my parents themselves had been super lgbt friendly since way before i was born. All it did was make me try to commit suicide a lot harder and with frequency. At least you only got a book and your mind is hopefully less impressionable than a 12 year old's.

I mean I don't know if you have to then make an entire commentary in the book. It's silliness and it sounds like they want "serious" effort put in but if it's not a thing that works maybe the only serious effort thing is to deconstruct it a bit.

20. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Dafuq? Like clockwork orange?