1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Distance Relationship

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by sublimeprincess, Nov 16, 2016.

1. sublimeprincess

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Everyone!

It took me a long time to finally meet a girl who I like enough to start a romantic relationship, but I found her! (!) We met where I live now, but after months of getting to know her, she had to go away to her master's program on the other side of the country. She comes to visit during her summer and winter breaks, but the stretches of not seeing her are really long. During those times, I tend to have a wandering eye but can't and don't want to be with anyone else. Yet, my yearning to have someone close grows stronger and stronger, and I wonder if anyone knows how to mend the feelings that comes from this distance. What things do you know have helped others in these situations?

Thanks for reading!

2. Ryler

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think the most important thing to know is that this will be a temporary move for school. Talk to her and ask her when she will graduate from her program. Come up with that calendar date where you two will no longer be long distance and mark it down, so it is something that you two can both look forward to and it serves as a reminder that the distance is only temporary.

Long distance is very tough but it CAN and HAS worked out for many people (many of whom I know personally). The people that I know are in long distance right now always Skype and communicate with each other every single day. They've been going at it for 3 years now and still strong. Honestly, I feel like their relationship is much stronger than some people that live close. There has to be clear expectations, trust, and communication is key. There are times where both of them are busy, but they still make that effort to communicate. Even if one of them is going out for the night with friends, they tell the other that they are going out so their partner knows.

Long distance really tests relationships. For the right personalities, long distance can really strengthen a relationship. As the saying goes, "distance makes the heart grow fonder". I feel like a relationship becomes even much more passionate after being away for so long, and it makes those meetings during breaks really special. Make communication a priority and I'm sure you two can make it work! :slight_smile:

3. sublimeprincess

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That was such good advice! Thank you!! I'll definitely talk to her about setting up a date. <3<3