1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My traumatized cat

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Random Ross 1, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Guys, I need help. So my cat is an outdoor cat. I didn't have any say in it, it was my mom's decision, because she started to mark her territory on a certain rug in the house. My cat always gets herself stuck in trees. When she comes down, she is traumatized and always hides. She gets let inside the house often. I usually take those oppuritunities to try and rehabilitate her. Whenever she makes progress, she gets stuck on a tree again and comes back just as, or more scarred. It is so sad they way she clings onto my arms for safety as she hides under my bed, how she lets out scared meows whenever she hears a little noise and they way she curls up into a ball and hides. How can I convince my mom to get rid of the rug and let her be an indoor cat? Being an outdoor cat is honestly not an option for her mental or physical health.:tears:

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does your mom see the cat's behavior and not care, or are you the only one who sees this behavior? Is there a vet appointment coming soon? That would be a good time to bring it up in front of the vet. If your vet agrees, you might gain an ally.

3. No, my mom notices it too. But she just thinks she'll get over it. But she doesn't realize that cats don't get over things well, and that it's getting worse.

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of house cats probably shouldn't be left outside anyway, even more so if they're declawed. I've lost a lot of my cats by allowing them outside in the past, it just feels safer to keep them inside.

5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try to get your mum on side by getting advice on how to train your cat not to do things indoors... seriously with winter coming it is not nice for a cat to be outside. You can let her know it is upsetting you too and you will do all you can to train the cat, or clean the rug etc

I think your vet would help, as someone else said, or just the vet's receptionist may have some advice about training. or maybe some reading material online. Its good you are looking out for you cat.!!

6. Poppy43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sorry to hear about this, has your cat been spayed? because when they have been done then dont mark their territory as much or wee in inappropiate places.
    If she's not been done then you can get vouchers to help if your on a low income. Also have you tried a big litter tray? I got a big one and it helped my Tom to not have accidents.