1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lgbt support group/activities

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CL1990, Nov 18, 2016.

1. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all

I am a closeted lesbian who is starting therapy (i had my first session this week). I have told no one ever that im "pretty much" gay except for my therapist. The session was hard but i want to move forward although i am scared to death...
    All my friends are straight and i dont feel confortable talking to them about any of this so i was thinking about trying out a support group. I find this way easier than meetups and so on as i feel it would be less "predatory" (only looking for sex). What im looking for right now is being able to hear stories and talk to people in a similar position to me. I also suffer from femme invisibility (if that is a thing) which makes it even worse to find people to connect with (i also feel i am only attracted to feminine girls). Anyway...any tips from anyone who has been to groups like this?i am scared i will still feal out of place...

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Support groups cover a whole range of issues, so it really depends what you are seeking support for. Are you seeking support mainly for your sexuality, or are you seeking support for other things that are connected to your mental health? What do you see as the most pressing issue?

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you just looking for sexuality support? There are plenty of existing LGBT clubs already, although you can also make one of your own. I've never been to these clubs, but you can still comment on my page if you have any questions about the LGBT experience.

4. Really

Hi CL1990,

I haven't been to any support groups but I have checked out meetup and, granted, while the one I go to isn't specifically advertised as LGBT, I'm pretty sure some of the female attendees have been gay. (I'm not looking at the guys all that closely. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) There was absolutely nothing predatory about any of them. They were all very nice and only there to enjoy the activity. I'm sure it's the same at an LGBT meetup. But definitely start with a "general admission" group if it's less daunting.

Are there any hobbies or activities you do or would like to try? Check them out. You'll see. People are very nice, actually. :slight_smile:

5. Cooper18

Cooper18 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry- queers tend to be VERY supportive and understanding.

Usually a LGBT community center will have a support group.

Sound like a great idea for you while you are working on coming out etc. :slight_smile:

Seriously - go check out LGBT community centers. There are a lot of sweet people around, just go poke around :slight_smile:

Take care :slight_smile: <3

6. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to an LGBT youth group which happened to organize heaps of activity, meets-up and speeches about sexuality, gender and other LGBT related issues when I first started coming out and living as an "out" person and it was a good way to meet other people who had had the same experience or were going through the same things.
    I met a lot of nice people but I did fell out of place a little, mostly because a lot of the people in the group happened to be a little "extreme" regarding some topics which made me uncomfortable.
    Like you I am a femme who likes femme and had absolutely NO problem with that, there were heaps of other feminine women there and no one expected me to fit the lesbian stereotype or judged me for what I looked like so I wouldn't worry about this. :slight_smile:

Just relax, give it a try and see if it works for you! :slight_smile:

Good luck x(*hug*)

7. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks all, this is really helpful! :slight_smile: i am just scared of having to expose myself to a bunch of strangers when im not feeling 100% confident when i talk to my therapist..anyway ill give it a go for sure, things cant get much worse at this point!