1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Early graduation?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Guff, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Guff

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on possibly graduating high school early.
    To understand where I'm at here's an extremely shortened description of where I'm at

I'm a homeschooler living in an extremely homophobic community who very recently came out to my family who are split with some taking it okay and others being pissed off.(mainly my mom)

I'm currently a junior in high school, since coming out to my family I've really shaken up everything and I hate to admit it, I kinda made "home life" suck not just for me but for my hole family. LOL... Anyway, schooling wise I'm somewhat ahead of my junior year schedule, my mom is my teacher. She said (mostly because she wants me to leave home as soon as possible) maybe it would be best to do school through summer and than graduate at the end of my junior year. Now obviously I don't want to give up my Summer break, LOL and graduating a year early would mean I'm just making the bare minimum to complete high school. Whereas if I have a senior year I'll get more done obviously.

I'm really kinda left wondering what's the best way to go.

on 1 hand early graduation would mean I could start working on leaving this situation and creating a life for myself in a none homophobic area. But on the downside it also means I'll just get enough done to graduate, getting into a college would definitely be harder if I only accomplish the bare minimum. And my mom somewhat is wanting me to do this to get rid of me, and I don't necessarily wanna work on helping her erase me from her life

On the other hand, finishing high school in accordance to the current plan would mean I have to spend another year with my mother that doesn't really want me around. But it also means I'll complete more work, will get a summer break and won't have to add on the extra stress of planning after high school with an entire year less than I thought I had.

One is smarter academically which high-school is all about.
    And the other will help me start working on creating a life where I can live openly. (And also separates me from my family making them less likely to "come around" to ever accepting me)

Both have a lot of pros and a lot of cons, I'm thinking just finishing high-school at a normal rate and being ahead of my class is probably better than finishing early towards the bottom of it. But I also really wanna leave my home LOL

Anyone got any advice?..

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there a reason why you can't finish high school at a public high school? If she wants to get rid of you, perhaps you being at school all day might ease the situation, and she wouldn't have to be your teacher either.

For your summer break, I would recommend you get a job and make as much money as possible. You're going to need it.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

3. Guff

My parents for whatever reason are like morally opposed to schools. I'm not totally sure why, but they're totally against it.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Remember that it's not your problem your relatives (or your mom) are uncomfortable/intolerant. Homophobia is the real lifestyle choice. You are courageous for coming out, and make sure to keep contact with family/friends who are supportive.

Getting a job soon might help in the short run, but you could struggle to be financially independent because many well-paying jobs require further education (college or vocational).

Could you transfer to a public high school so you don't have to depend on your mom as a teacher?

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guff,

Can't you 'convince' your parents that going to a public High School next year would be in everyone's interest? Especially if you pressed the Coming Out option that was discussed in your previous thread? This may very well be a case where you could use the power of the threat to Come Out to your Community to get your parents to come around to letting you go to a public school next year.

On top of that, what would graduating early accomplish for you. Until you are of legal age (18), I don't think that graduating early would be of much benefit to you since you would still need your parents' permission to attend college, join the military, or pretty much do anything else significant in terms of moving forward with your life. Filing for emancipation from your parents before you turn 18 is always an option, but that would require a court ruling and may take longer than it actually takes for you to turn 18.

Just asking some questions.

Take Care. And stay strong, my friend!:slight_smile:

6. Guff

By the time I finish my Junior year I'll be 18 (I'm older than most Juniors because I have a very late birthday)

I've asked about public schooling, I think my mom is resentful because she runs a huge homeschooler program here. If I go to public school, it'd somewhat hurt her social life. And it's all always about her

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would say go for it if I were still in regular school I would only be in my first semester of junior year but I'm so ahead now that I will be graduating in a couple of weeks.

8. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Guff,

Like Andrew99 said, if you think you are ready to graduate, I'd say "go for it." Your current environment is clearly counterproductive to your growth and well-being as a person. I would only advise that you start making deliberate plans for your future and start doing serious research (with your Dad's help/input, if possible) along those lines.

9. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the end of your year is May/June, then you have six months to plan your exit if that's what you decide to do. It does sound like you are in a negative environment. I echo the thoughts of QuantumReality and Andrew99, but remember that none of us are in your shoes. I think you should trust your instincts. You have proven to be an intelligent and courageous young man, and I think you will do so much in your life after you get away from your parents, whenever that happens to be.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: