1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I discuss my sexuality with my counsellor?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RainydayTofu, Nov 19, 2016.

1. RainydayTofu

RainydayTofu Guest

I went to my first counselling session, but I'm concerned the counsellor doesn't want to talk about my sexuality.

I asked the organisation that this counsellor is a part of if I could see someone who is comfortable with LGBT issues, among other things.

In this first session she asked me to make a list (I spoke, she wrote) of the main things I wanted to talk about. One of them was "I'm gay but I'm not comfortable with that, but I know I can't change it, so I want to be comfortable with it" (I'm just fantastic at wording things aren't I?!?! NOT :lol:slight_smile:.

She wrote something down, but then when she showed me the list of stuff afterwards when she was going through what/how/when we're gonna discuss she covered the sentence about my sexuality with another piece of paper, and didn't say anything!

I'm worried whether she doesn't want to talk about this maybe? The thing is, I fully agree with anyone who says 'your sexuality is only a part of who you are'. I can get behind that 100%, but it is somehting that has been making me feel down. I doubt it's the sole cause, but it's certainly contributing to other problems, so i'd like to talk about it.

Do you have any ideas about what I could do? I was considering mentioning it again next session (something like "I mentioned last time I was gay and I'd like to talk a bit more about this, is that acceptable?") but I don't want to come accross as aggressive and act like I know better than a qualified counsellor.

Just so you know, I have been to counselling before but I never really opened up, so naturally I got nothing out of it (except having a lot less money at the end! :lol:slight_smile:. That's why I want to be more honest and open this time, including talking about being gay.

2. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey! I discussed it on my first session with couselling. By the form i initially filled in she said "i see your problems are mainly with your family and relationships" i knew where she was going so i said.."my problem is with my sexual orientation that i feel the way i have handled it up until now has had an impact on every aspect of my life" then we only talked about that for the rest of the session...good luck!

3. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First of all good for you for going to a counselor and being so honest. I know that's not easy. I would IT up again. A good counselor will listen to your needs. If she doesn't, find a new one. Good luck!

4. klix

Having been to counselling repeatedly through my life, from GCSEs up to Wednesday this week I can tell you that the best thing to do is be completely honest, and open up.

Yes you can talk to them about anything, it's important that you do. I did exactly what you are describing until about a year ago, never really opened up, but then this time round I told her and it was such a relief to be able to talk about being gay.

So yes you can!

5. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you don't feel your getting what you need from her ask for a different person. You should be able to talk about anything you want.