1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I tell if people have a crush on me, and what do i do?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by emmadances, Nov 24, 2016.

1. emmadances

Out Status:
    Some people
    So this girl I'm friends with is ALWAYS flirting with me.

I'm not really that close friends with her, although she has confided in me about mental health and I helped her to seek help. so I don't know if that's how she is with everyone, or I'm receiving special treatment or something.

Another girl who is in my LGBTQ club at school in the year above is always really shy around me, and doesn't talk to me even though when I see her talking to other people she's really sort of sassy. on the LGBTQ club Facebook chat she is always really nice and replies to whatever i say.

I'm not saying this to be all modest or humble bragging but Im not in the place for a relationship, so what do i do if any of them ask me out? Without hurting their feelings?

2. renard

renard Guest

Well, for starters, you may have answered your second question: telling people who have feelings for you that you're not in a place or looking for a relationship is often a good, honest, delicate way to turn them down. In my experience, it's also generally a good idea to add how much you appreciate their friendship and invite them to keep interacting with you as a good friend. (If you want them to, anyway.) Be clear and firm when saying you aren't interested, but offer a sort of olive branch, if it feels right.

As far as reading others' signals, if you're not interested, I wouldn't address the situation unless it makes you uncomfortable; give them a chance to either take your hint (and thus stop flirting) or tell you directly about their feelings.

If you find someone's advances make you uncomfortable, though, absolutely find a way to make it clear you want them to stop, whether that's just saying so or telling one of their friends or anyone else who can help.