1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attracted to therapist

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by pallf, Nov 24, 2016.

1. pallf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Last year I began seeing a therapist at my university to deal with my anxiety disorder and to come to terms with my sexuality. By the end of the spring semester they had moved on but my attraction to them didn't. I feel like a very creepy person because I haven't moved on and I'm hesitant to see a new therapist because I may become attracted to them also. Any help and advice is appreciated

2. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

Secondly, it's easy for us to become obsessed with our therapists/develop a crush because we have become vulnerable and shared our problems and thoughts with them, and opened up about everything that's going on in our lives. This gives a sense of belonging if you will, and therefore it can easily develop into a crush. As long as you don't act on it, there's nothing to worry about.

3. killswitch0029

Since you're so open with a therapist, it's natural to develop some feelings toward them, that's how humans are; closeness = some sort of attraction in some way, shape, or form. Just don't act on it, it's unethical for a therapist to have any form of relationship (at least professional) with a client or else they could lose their license. Once you move past the initial crush phase and don't really act on it things will be fine.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Feeling attraction to a therapist is common, and pretty normal and can actually be beneficial to your therapy assuming the therapist has good boundaries and ethics and understands how to work with transference appropriately.

Talk about it openly. The therapist should understand, not be offended or upset, but also should make it clear that there is no way in which the relationship will ever be anything but professional. If you get the slightest inkling that there is anything remotely inappropriate coming from your therapist, address it. If it does not immediately change, drop the therapist.

With those guidelines in place, there should not be any concerns.