1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like it's my fault

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by daughtry, Nov 28, 2016.

1. daughtry

daughtry Guest

It took me a really long time to come out to myself, and I started coming out to other people about a week after I came out to myself. But my brother said I have no one to blame but myself for being in the closet so long, and a friend of mine told me I could have come out at any time. And my parents said that even though they were saying homophobic things when I was in the closet, I was feeding into it by saying homophobic things myself. I feel like it's my fault. I feel stupid. I should have known I was gay, why am I such an idiot? :tears:

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey daughtry,

There is no reason to beat yourself up over this. We each take the journey to come to an understanding and acceptance of our sexuality at our own individual pace. Some of us complete that journey relatively early in our lives. Others of us complete it quite late in our lives.

Beyond the completion of that journey, we each Come Out to others only if/when we are comfortable doing so - again on our own individual timeline. No one else has the right to tell us if/when we should Come Out nor to whom. Anyone who would make such a judgment call is extremely ignorant of what it means to be LGBTQ.

You are who you are. You can't regret things you can't change. Just try to be happy with your acceptance of who you are and live your life the way you want to live it.:slight_smile: