1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian bars or LGBT support group?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CL1990, Nov 30, 2016.

1. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all,

I am in the closet and unexperienced. My therapist and me have been talking about having some experience with girls so see what i like...the thing is whatever i do i would like to do it alone (no friends to be my wing men etc). I feel like bars are too scary/ predatory for me so i was thinking of joining a support group. This would not be to look for hookups but to see for myself that there are people in the world like me. I would like to work with the terrible misconception that as a lesbian femme i will not find any other femme girls out there....which direction would you take?thanks you!

2. B a r e f o o t

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well I'm a gay male but I think in a support group you could not only meet other girls and get to know what they're like, but you could also ask questions that you are unsure about and get group opinions and answers. You probably won't get that in a bar. I wish you well.

3. backdrop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would not recommend going to gaybars or the like to find a community. I would recommend going to an LGBT center and joining in their community / events . They can give you so much knowledge about the self/others and make lasting friendships :slight_smile:

4. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    thanks guys, really helpful! yeah I think a support group will be the best way to go...now I just need to build the courage to actually go....im scared to be judged/have to over expose myself....

5. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LGBT groups may be a good start for you, yes.

As a side note and if that helps you at all, I am a femme girl dating another femme girl and I know for a fact that there is a bunch of other women like us out there. :slight_smile:

Good luck in your journey x