1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT+ Group therapy?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Guff, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Guff

Today I spoke with my Pyschologist, hes been helping me primarily with medication and secondly with therapy. He said because the new year our insurance won't cover seeing him for therapy reasons anymore.
    But he suggested I go to a small group therapy group that's aimed at LGBT people. Or I could just see an entirely different therapist our insurance does cover. I'm already seeing 2 therapist counting him, so I'm wondering if just seeing the other 1 and going to those group sessions would be enough, it's definitely the cheaper option.
    But I also think it sounds kinda stupid, So like what would we actually do... Just sit there and be like, sucks to be gay in this community. LOL I just don't see the point of it honestly. Has anyone ever gone to anything like that? Should I consider trying? Are they just stupid? Are they just as good as seeing a therapist 1 on 1?.. Any info or advice would be appreciated

2. B a r e f o o t

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't been to an LGBT group but I've been to others, and there are usually some people there who can show you different perspectives and open your mind to things you hadn't considered, or had but not in the way they presented it. I think it's worth trying, even if you also pursue other forms of help. It won't hurt to try it for a while and see what it's like. I wish you well.

3. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hey! I am in the exact same boat! I go to theraphy and, I have had no experiences so my therapist has suggested to go to a gay bar but I find that increadibly predatory and dawnting! so I thought that a support group would be an easier step to make...but still I have second thought as I don't know what will be discussed/how much will I have to share...I really have nothing to share..i know I like girls and that is about it...I have nothing else to add...ill just give it a go on the next session in a week. can keep you posted so that you know what to expect...

4. smurf

Yep, it depends on the therapist that is guiding the group. If done right, it can be extremely helpful to talk about certain things in a group setting. Yes, it feels a bit cliche and silly, but I think you will be surprised about the things you will learn about yourself.

This is one of those things that I highly suggest you try. Group therapy isn't for everyone, but you won't know what works for you until you try it. Specially since its a cheaper option for you.

It depends on what you are looking to do and how you like to process information. There are things about group therapy that you would never be able to do 1 on 1. Think of this as just another tool. Is a hammer better or as good as a screwdriver? Different tools for different jobs.