1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quitting Marijuana

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by KayJay, Dec 9, 2016.

1. KayJay

I have been smoking it for a few years. It has progressively been getting heavier over time, last week I spent $200 on it and it made me realize it is time to stop. I can't afford this and I think it isn't helping me like I think it is.

I am going cold turkey and today is my first day. I can't stomach my breakfast at all, I feel really sweaty, and I want to lay down and go back to sleep. Is all of this normal? I haven't really heard much about any sort of withdrawal from this but it seems there is?

Has anyone else got through this? It sounds stupid but I am really struggling with it. It is my 3rd time trying to quit in the last week and a half. I tried to taper off my use but I don't have the self control to do that myself. I'd need someone to monitor and control my intake.

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    BTDT, totally normal. cold turkey is how I went back when I was 15... never looked back. it's totally hard but totally worth it. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!(!)(!):thumbsup:

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very normal when you have been using it often and for an extended period of time. The side effects are not dangerous and usually peak after 3 days, passing after 7-10 days. Do you think you can bear that? If you are struggling with side effects, you can, and should try to manage them with some over the counter medicines.

If you do lapse, don't beat yourself up about it. Just gather yourself together and start again straight away, because in so doing you are introducing a tapering effect (even if it's not deliberate).

Cold turkey isn't easy.

4. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes that is normal, for some people it is harder but for me personally after 3 days I don't even want to smoke anymore. You can do it, its pretty easy.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What you're describing is completely normal. Among the chemical dependency professionals I work with, one of the commentaries I hear over and over is that marijuana dependency is often more difficult to overcome than many other, harder drugs.

The immediate detox happens over a few days, but it will take typically 3-6 months for your head to completely clear and your neuro/endocrine system to rebalance itself. During that time, you may have some transient anxiety, insomnia, listlessness, and various other symptoms as your body readjusts to a normal metabolism state.

You're making a good choice for yourself, and I totally encourage and support your decision.

Depending on where you are, you may want to consider an outpatient chemical dependency program, which can really help with understanding your feelings and behaviors, and having people around you that can support you and help you when you feel the urge to use. Self-help groups such as NA, LifeRing, and SoberRecovery can also be really helpful, and they have meetings all over. LifeRing even has online meetings.

Keep at it, keep talking about it, and ask for help (as you're doing now) when you need it. You'll get there!