1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety over cultural difference

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by connor327, Dec 13, 2016.

1. connor327

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So this might seem like a weird thought but basically I'm a gay male born and raised in the US and I will be moving to a country where nearly no one is circumcised. This is fine because I really prefer that actually. My concern is that guys there will find me less attractive or somehow less desirable due to the fact that I am circumcised. Are my concerns valid or am I overthinking a nonissue?

Thank you for any thoughts or comments on this :slight_smile:

2. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose that could be a possibility, but you may also run into a person who is also circumcised and had the same issue. It's also possible that you may run into a uncircumcised person and they themselves prefer circumcised.

You're also going into a country where, like you've said, NEARLY every guy is circumcised. First of all where did you get that conclusion from and how likely is it that every male in that country is uncircumcised? Just a thought :slight_smile:

3. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Think about it like this, in the US most guys our age are circumcised, including myself. Now I'm sure you realize there are many circumcised men in the US that prefer uncircumcised, you are one of them. So logic would tell me that in a country full of men who are uncircumcised there is most likely a good number of them who prefer circumcised.

4. connor327

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Jax12 - It's relatively common knowledge that most countries outside the US do not practice this. And I see your point that not everyone is going to be intact. I guess it's just going to be weird for me to be a minority when it comes to this issue where I've always been the majority haha!

Totesgaybrah - That really is a great point. It seems like a lot of people are attracted to things that are out of the norm to them, so it could go that way with this issue as well. I never thought about reversing the role because I do in fact prefer the minority in the US.

Great perspectives, would love to hear more :slight_smile: