1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kilt Questions

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Hunter8, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Hunter8

So I finally did something I never thought I would do. I went and got a utility Kilt! I have always thought kilts were cool on a dude, and I live in a fairly warm climate all year round. So that's convenient too. But I am actually a bit anxious about wearing the kilt out in public now. I don't have a hang-up guys wearing skirts. I'm perfectly fine if people think I'm gay. Not that wearing a kilt means you are in any case.

But I don't know if I should go commando or not. It's a fairly light, flexible material (almost similar to a swimming trunks material), so I don't know if wind will be a serious problem yet. I also commute quite a bit on a bike, and I'm not sure how that will go down. Does anyone have an opinion on what type of underwear would be best? I'm generally more of a briefs guy. Do you think that would be alright? Of course the goal is not to have a Marilyn Monroe moment, but things happen and I'd like to minimize embarrassment.

I'm starting to have second thoughts about wearing it, but I also really want to. Any feedback would be awesome!

2. B a r e f o o t

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A kilt is not to be thought of the way a skirt is. A kilt is a male garment. Women do not wear kilts. There are resources online to tell you how to wear a kilt properly. Google that.

3. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kilts are traditionally known as a male garment. There are many Scottish Heritage Societies out there that hold conventions in traditional garb. Heck, I've seen people walking around in kilts. No big deal in my mind.

As for going commando, I wouldn't advise it. Especially on a bike, I would assume there would be some "visibility." I would try the briefs and see how it works out. Especially since briefs are closer fitting than boxers.

Do you know how kilts were put on in the old times? A kilt would be a piece of fabric about...I think 6 ft long. It would be laid out on the ground, and the man would roll himself up in the fabric burrito style! Then they would arrange the pleats, throw part of the fabric over one shoulder and apply the clasp. This was so they could use the kilt as a blanket during cold nights if they were caught in the wild.

Just thought I'd add that on!

Sebby45

4. Shadowgirl37

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know way too much about kilts, being that I wear one every day, my school uniform.

5. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want to wear one than do it. A couple year back I knew I guy at my school who often wore a kilt and I live in one of the most conservative areas of New York yet no one paid any mind to him. I personally think they are awesome and when I was younger and had to wear skirts I would pretend they were kilts and I was some warrior who had to wear one while fighting. It helped me feel masculine lol.

6. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should wear the kilt.

No commando. People might see, and ain't nobody got time for that.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Isn't the sporran partially for keeping the material down in the front? Although that's more for the traditional style and not a Utilikilt.

I know for a fact I'm not brave enough to wear one, though usually admire the guys who can pull it off.

#7 Argentwing, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  8. Ahsan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm starting to have second thoughts about wearing it, but I also really want to. Any feedback would be awesome! yes you can but utility kilt with top quality its very comfortable and easy to wear
    https://scottishkiltshop.com/modern-kilts-for-men

9. Arfa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Utility kilts from sport kilt and Scottish kilt are both the best in quality and prices. You can go to kilts for men section and find all kilt selling companies.

10. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

WOW!!!!...I miss this thread...however, I think you should wear some form fitting boxer briefs under it. I know when I was bartending especially during Gay Pride Weekend...there were a lot of guys here that would go commando and had no problem letting me know. Nonetheless, I honestly would love to see you in a kilt...send me a pic..haha...I hope you are commando in that pic as well...lol

11. zoya

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What about wearing fashion kilt as a modern utility kilt. What would you say Ahsan?