1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self-esteem

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Guff, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Guff

Hi, thanks for reading whoever you are.

Does anyone got any advice for feeling okay with how you look? This isn't a "huge" problem but it definitely does get to me sometimes...
    At the start of this year I weighed 165 pounds. I looked thin and my Doctor recommended I put on weight. Now I weigh 142 pounds..
    Like a lot of teens I have acne, I use to do a pretty great job on staying "on top of it" and had relatively clear skin. But for awhile I fell in some bad clinical depression... I totally gave up on using my acne medicines and moisturizer and such.
    I'm working on getting it back under control, but it sure is taking awhile. I also stopped going outside and spent all my time in bed, I'm now really pale. I've gotten most my color back but not quite back to normal yet.
    I'm also 6'4. I know a LOT of guys who wish they were decently tall. But I for whatever reason just sorta wish I was 5-6 inches shorter LOL And I'm sadly still growing.. I just feel so long and being so thin I feel so boney and like I look like a stick figure. LOL
    Being so thin and pale my siblings have nicknamed me the vampire of the family.

Anyone got any advice on how to clear acne quickly? I'm already using some natural creams and such but it's better at keeping acne away than it is at actually taking it away.
    Anyone got any advice on gaining/maintaining weight? I really would like to be at least 160 again..
    I know I can't shrink LOL But anyone got any advice on just "general self acceptance"? There's a lot I don't like about my looks I can't realistically change. Any help on feeling good about myself would mean a lot.
    Thanks for reading.

2. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Guff,

Tough questions.

Self-acceptance is something everyone has to go through. I am learning how to accept myself as well. Physically I wish I looked different too, and did stuff to try and make that happen, but you are who you are. Period. I try to look in the mirror everyday and find one little feature that I think is nice. That gives a little boost to your morning. I buy clothes I like (when I can). Again a little boost to you self-esteem because it makes you feel good when you are comfortable. But as to changing your thoughts about yourself, that will take time. Try using CBT therapy type exercises. For example, take a negative thought, and change it into its positive opposite (i.e. "I am too tall" becomes "I am just the right height.") I know it might seem stupid or hokey, but over time the negative circuits in your brain get rewritten by the positive ones. What I found the key to be is: Don't give a :***: about what other people think. Walk out that door like you are the sexiest person on the planet!

There will be days where nothing makes you feel better, but if you try you will find better days as well.

As for eating, are you just not hungry/or just losing weight? If you have lost weight like that even when sticking to the same diet, you should see your Doctor again, they may be able to recommend a nutritionist to help you gain your lost weight.

If you have not been eating due to depression, but are feeling better, slowly re-nourish your body. Protein shakes are always good for giving you the extra boost your body if you can't finish a balanced meal. One of the many symptoms of depression is a lack of hunger. You may not eat much at first, but your appetite will kick in. If not, see, guess who? Your Doctor. In fact I would badger your Doctor into giving you some advice. That is what they are there for.

Lastly, from what I know of acne (which isn't much I'm afraid) it is notoriously hard to get rid of. I would continue using the creams, etc. that you have used in the past. Or see if there are any more powerful rx's out there. Unfortunately, I think you will need to wait this out for results.
    But there may be someone on this forum who has more experience in this matter than I.

Hope some of this helps,

Sebby45

P.S. I love tall people. Maybe it is because I am lacking in the height department! ❤️

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2016 at 12:45 PM ----------

P.P.S. Bow ties are cool. Geronimo!