1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good cities to live in Latin America

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Cory675, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello all,

I am 25 and currently studying translation (French to English) and given that I would also like to learn to translate from Spanish, I would really like to spend some time in a Spanish-speaking country to really perfect the language (I already speak Spanish fluently, but really need to expand my vocabulary and gain some cultural experience to become a good enough translator).

I am looking to move abroad for 1-2 years or more depending on where life takes me, and I am currently considering Buenos Aires, Santiago, Bogotá and Medellín. I am wondering what it is like to be gay and live in those cities. Although the fact I am gay isn't necessarily written on my face, I would like to live in a city where I can make genuine friendships and not feel like I need to hide my sexuality. I would like to live somewhere where I can have a normal dating life, meet genuine, down-to-earth guys and be able to develop a fulfilling relationship. What I really don't want is to fear being beat up, or living somewhere where it's so taboo that relationships can't succeed because there is so much stress.

I've already been to Buenos Aires once, as well as Mexico City and I know they are very gay friendly but if anyone has recently lived in Santiago, Bogotá or Medellín (or other major cities in Latin America for that matter) and could give me some insight, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!