1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some honest adivce, I'm totally confused :(

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sky123, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Sky123

Hi all I'm a new member on the site but I have read stories on this site for a while now. I know everyone on here is really kind and helpful hence why I set up and account. So my problem is, I'm at college and all was going fine, another year of hard work and sports. Then I met this guy, who is your typical "macho" jocky type. We are polar opposites but for some reason we just clicked and after a month of meeting each other at hockey we are basically besties. Something I think that is amazing yet so odd, purely because I've never clicked with someone this quickly before (something he acknowledges as well). Anyway I've always had an open mind to whom i'm attracted to but I never thought much of him but a friend and I even encouraged him to go for this girl he liked.

Our friendship has honestly been going from strength to strength, with both of us admitting with love each other (in a platonic sense). I don't know if it's because I haven't had a group of guys round me growing up (separate issue) but I've always felt this need for male bonding. Not in a sexual way what so ever just emotionally. This is where it get's a little odd because I kinda have a crush on him but I don't. Emotionally we are bounded for life hahah, I think he loves the fact I'm so open minded and loving towards everyone and the fact I always have a positive outlook on things. We are defo in bromance mode, like major. He says the friendship with me is better than all his other friendship's and we have been at college for a year and a half.

He is very touchy and protective over me and always tells me how much he loves etc. When he is drunk he literally tells me how he wants to spend the rest of his life with me and have my babies (I know he is drunk when he says this haah). Also when we had an argument over him ditching me for a bootie call on my bday I told him he was a dick, he got every emotional and he said me getting angry with him, was killing him, just like the arguments he had with his ex girlfriend. Also when drunk he has said I miss get a heap of girls because of the way I look haha and he likes to squeeze my muscles when he see's me sober. I've caught him making eye contact across the room from me, he smiles and laughs at everything I do. He always wants to make me laugh and he loves hugging me for an age and telling me how happy I make him etc etc. Sorry I haven't written this coherently haha.

What I want to know is, what do I do? Are these signs he is giving me/ an intense bromance? I think the reason why I'm so overwhelmed Is because I haven't felt like this about another person in 5 years so it's kinda a big thing for me. I know he defines himself as straight but has happily told me I would spend my life with you if I could and the fact we haven't known each other for more than 2 months makes me think this is only going to get more intense.

I've weighed up in my head would I be with him, if later down the line he realises something is between us and tbh I don't know what I would do. I love our friendship and don't want to ruin what we have and my feelings are more like emotionally charged than physical of that makes sense? Like if he got a girlfriend I would be happy for him etc, but when he had that hookup I hated not knowing what he is doing and when he normally responds instantly to my messages but when he doesn't I'm checking when he was last active etc.. I'm a rational person and I want the best for him, so when I get jealous i'm kind of disappointed in myself. Another point to make is that he was devastated when his girlfriend left him and I had to remind him of the positives. You are intelligent, you have your health and people that love and support you etc and he was like I know i'm going to be fine because I have you

I tried to give myself space, so when I came home from college I didn't respond to his messages for 3 days. But he wouldn't stop messaging me, saying stuff like I miss you, hope you got home okay etc. This period did help as I stopped myself from hardcore crushing hahah

So sorry again for my errors and my long paragraphs haha but what do you think I should do? Our friendship is getting more intense as we speak and how do I get myself piece of mind?? :lol:

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Sky123,

It sounds like you two 'click' and he's a great friend.

Why do you want to change your friendship with him? How would you want to change your friendship with him?

Are you mainly concerned because you are infatuated with him and are being possessive of him?

You don't mention how you identify your own sexuality other than as "figuring it all out with time" in your profile. Nothing you wrote indicates that you are interested in anything more than just having him as your best friend for life.:slight_smile:

#2 Quantumreality, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  3. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Sky,

It seems to me like you both are very good friends. Personally I would be careful in thinking that your relationship goes beyond a close friendship. I assume from your orientation status that he doesn't know that you are questioning? Has he given you any signs that he might not be straight?

4. Sky123

Thanks guys for the response, much appreciated :slight_smile:. Erm I think I more concerned with where things could head. We are both emotionally very attached to one another and I know it's gonna get more intense. He wants to my coursemates and come visit me during our breaks etc and I'm aware that love can transcend all the rules and i'm just concerned about what would happen if I was to like him/if we both like each other. I think it's just the emotional intensity of a friendship of less than two months and we see each other maybe twice a week and I'm closer to him than people i met day 1.

I just don't label myself purely because I don't feel the need to. My sexuality doesn't fit to any label 100% :slight_smile:. I don't think he would mind about my sexuality purely because we are both so different. I mean we have similar music tastes and we are both not effeminate in anyway, other than that we are so dissimilar it's funny haha. In terms of him showing interests in guys, like i said he is very touchy, very protective over me. Always wants to make me laugh, i catch him making eye contact across the room at me. He has told me he would happily send his life with me etc. One of my friends did say he is acting a little gay with you and he didn't say anything and went quiet so i busted out a joke to diffuse the silence hahah.

Sorry a ramble on too much ahah, so i'm just worried about where things could go because i feel like we could both fall in love with each other. I mean he has spoken about girls he are hot and I've agreed with him on it haha but since our friendship has grown he hasn't mentioned any other people.

---------- Post added 29th Dec 2016 at 04:55 PM ----------

Sorry for the mistakes, I'm typing too quickly haha

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well Sky123,

It doesn’t sound like he’s given any overt indications to you that he thinks you are more than a really great friend. And nothing you wrote sounds like he might be gay or bi – even the drunken comments you related sound very similar to things I’ve heard from a couple of my closest friends (both of whom are totally straight). Some straight guys can get really touchy-feely with their closest male friends. It’s not sexual, it’s a level of comfort thing and you should take it as great sign that he is so comfortable around you.

Of course, it’s your choice to not choose a label for your sexuality. I was asking simply because you didn’t indicate whether or not you have any sexual interest in him at this point and/or whether or not part of your concern is if he were to develop a sexual interest in you.

However, since you’ve only known each other two months, I’d just recommend that you continue to go with the flow and let your friendship develop at this point. If you find yourself too distracted by him, maybe go out and find yourself a gf/bf. If he is actually straight, as it seems, he will probably find a new gf soon and you will have to deal internally with your own possessiveness over him. Having your own gf/bf could mitigate that so that you and he could continue to just be best friends.

Just some thoughts.:slight_smile:

#5 Quantumreality, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  6. Sky123

Thanks Quantumreality,

If there were signs of interest what would you say they would be? Sometimes there is sexual interest but it is mainly emotional. There are honestly no obvious signs from either of us that could suggest we like each other more than friends? I mean he sometimes gets nervous round me and is always trying to improve his hockey game so he can get onto the team and spend more time with me? Like I said I think I am just concerned with where the friendship could head and he is starting to distract me. So I think i'm going to give myself some space so I can just cool off

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2016 at 02:23 AM ----------

The thing I don't understand is why I'm being so possessive normally I'm totally fine hahah. Also we don't actually know each other that well. like I said we have known each other for two months, with us seeing each other for maybe twice a week for an hour at hockey, then occasionally on campus

7. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Sky123,

You seem to be dancing around a deeper issue or concern that you haven’t actually stated in your posts so far. You clearly deeply care for him, which you seem to be expressing in your possessiveness among many other things. Could your possessiveness be tied to the fact that you have found someone that you truly connect with and you are a just scared of losing him?

He may actually feel that same way. What do you mean when you say that sometimes he gets nervous around you?

In terms of interest, it’s clear that he thinks of you as more than casual friends, rather as one of his closest male friends – if not THE closest male friend that he has. Could that also include sexual interest in you? Sure. All I said was that nothing you described so far clearly indicates to me that he has any sexual interest in you.

So what kind of signs of interest are you asking about? Whether or not he has a sexual interest in you? That will be harder to tell, especially if he happens to be in denial of his own sexual feelings for you. But signs of intimacy could include more than close guy-to-guy contact/touching, such as if he were to start rubbing your arm or your leg. If he went out of his way to touch arms or legs with you and especially if he then rubs that arm or leg against you. And obviously, of course, if he tried to kiss you. However, unless you actually talk to him frankly about how he feels about you, you may be left guessing for a long time.

You keep indicating your ‘concern’ for where your friendship with him may be heading. Are YOU the one who is concerned if he were to have sexual interest in you? You seem to keep dancing around that issue. From what have written, it seems clear that you have a crush on him. Are you more disturbed about the idea that it could turn into a sexual relationship or are you more excited about that idea? Are you really being honest with yourself about your deepest feelings about this whole situation?

If you just want to back off and regain some emotional control, that’s understandable. As I indicated, maybe if both of you got gfs, you could realign your friendship on a more normalized level that is comfortable for both of you. However, since the two of you have only been friends for two months, I’d strongly recommend that you just go with the flow for a while and let your friendship continue to develop with him.

Whatever you decide, however, I strongly recommend that you have open communication with him about this stuff. If he’s a real friend, he’ll appreciate the communication and won’t really be phased by any of your concerns. And, he should be equally open and honest about his feelings towards you, as well.

#7 Quantumreality, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  8. Sky123

thanks Quantumreality you are actually so helpful (Btw I hope you had a good Christmas :slight_smile: )

In terms of his interest, he does feel my arms when he can and he'll be like "ooo have you been working out?" (i'm like a stick insect, so we both know then answer to that hahah) He did at one point put his hands up in the air when he was sat down and it looked like we was waiting for me to put his hands into his, if that makes sense?

Um I am kinda on the fence because I'm like, would it be nice if it happened? Of course it would, I mean you can't go wrong with being someone you care about. On the other hand I'm like, I want to be apart of your life forever so a deep friendship is always really nice to have. I think you are totally right with the whole i'm scared of losing him thing. I don't normally emotionally connect with people as deeply as I have with him. Due to like my dad leaving me at a young age and my Step dad being emotionally and sometimes physically abusive to me. On top of the usual learning experiences of friends and what not letting you down

It's odd though because you know when you can kinda feel/tell someone could fall for you? That's kinda how I feel. He admires me a lot, he tries to do things for my approval and maybe in time that could develop into something more. Even when we first met, our mutual friend was telling me, he thinks I'm really cool etc etc and I had met him like twice and had barely spoken to him hahaha. I think that's why I think time will give me a bit more clarity in terms of where we stand

I honestly need an emotional break purely because I don't like being this possessive over people and always thinking what is he doing?? I have exams to focus on in the new year so I want to focus on those things first and try and enjoy the holidays with my loved ones

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2016 at 08:01 AM ----------

I haven't really thought about having a relationship at college purely because I want to focus on my course, have a good set of friends and experience as much as I can whilst I'm there. Sadly though you can't control your emotions as a human being hahaha

9. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So Sky123,

I had a nice, quiet Christmas – just the way I like it. Thanks for your kind sentiments.:slight_smile:

I don’t know if I’ve really been of much help to you because you still seem to be avoiding the deeper issue(s) – at least in your posts. Perhaps that is because you are still unsure or confused yourself. That’s fine. It’s a big part of why this site exists. I’m only trying to ask questions and have a discussion that hopefully allows you to help yourself in terms of understanding your real issue(s) and potential solutions. So maybe I haven’t asked the right question(s) yet? I dunno.

So if he does caress your arms, that would definitely be an indicator that is beyond normal guy-to-guy contact, in my experience. (And I was in the military for over 20 years, so I have a lot of experience with close heterosexual guy-to-guy contact.)

It’s very hard to say what that could have meant without more context, but did you actually consider putting your hands on his hips? You probably could have done that pretty easily and gotten away with it as a joke if he ended up acting like he didn’t want you to do that.

O.K., that says a LOT! First, you seem to be saying that you are wary of making close friends because of how you’ve been hurt in the past. Totally understandable. Second, the more that you write, the more it sounds to me like you just like him strongly (VERY strongly) as a best friend. Nothing you’ve written truly indicates any sexual desire for him. All of that’s totally fine. It seems like your possessiveness is tied to how you have been hurt/burned in the past, not really based on any kind of sexual possessiveness. I think your jealousy of his former gf, then is more an issue of not wanting to lose the attention of your new bf far more than wanting him as a bf for yourself. Again, totally understandable. I can recognize those sentiments in how I reacted in some cases with some of my closest friends in the past – and it was totally due to an emotional attachment (deep friendship), but nothing sexual in the least.

Such possessiveness as you describe in your feelings for him is a negative thing. Even if the two of you were to become bfs, you would still need to back off and let him be his own person, otherwise you could potentially end up being jealous and resentful of anyone with whom he became good friends. That would be bad for any relationship whether it is as besties or boyfriends, don’t you think?

Now, though, the more you tell me about him, it seems more likely that he is at least as emotionally infatuated with you and may actually be sexually attracted to you. It’s still rather tenuous in terms of direct evidence, in my opinion, but it seems like it certainly is a possibility.

Taking an emotional break still seems like a really good idea. You need to sort some stuff out in your own mind. Ultimately, though, it seems like you will probably have to have a heart-to-heart conversation with him about your feelings and try to get him to open up, as well. We can talk about how to potentially go about that later, if you like.

In terms of focusing on your studies at college, I agree with you. Having such an intense relationship, especially if it turns physical can be extremely distracting. I actually turned down relationships with two girls who pursued me in college. I did it mainly because I was so focused on my studies, but also because I was still trying to understand and accept my sexuality and didn’t want to potentially hurt anyone while I was still trying to figure myself out. In retrospect, I regret turning them down. They may actually have helped me clarify my sexuality and I might even have happily married one of them. But I can’t change the past.

As for you, you can’t know the future. Like you said, you can’t control your emotions for another person. We love who we love. At this point, based on what you have posted, I don’t think you would be comfortable with a sexual relationship with him right now. You kind of sound excited by the idea that he might think of you that way, but also fearful of possibly finding out that he really does think of you like that. I’m not sure if that is more because you don’t want to change the status quo in this awesome friendship that you have developed with him or because you are really not ready to have that kind of a relationship with another guy.

For now, though, dude, I’m with you in wishing you a Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year. Definitely enjoy your time with your loved ones!:slight_smile:

#9 Quantumreality, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  10. Sky123

Thanks again Quantumreality- I'm glad the holidays have been kind to you :slight_smile:

I think the deeper issues are me being scared to commit to a person. I am normally the rational one, people come to for advice and well love isn't rational what so ever hahah. The fear of being burnt obviously weighs heavily on my mind as well but I know that this is inevitable when it comes to relationships in any form. I think also when it comes to my friend, I think we both are holding onto one another because we have both had that moment of omg where have you been all my life after such a short period of time and I don't want to lose him

Have I had sexual thoughts about him? I have if I'm honest but I think that has derived from such a strong bond we have. The emotional side is so weird though, because if he got with someone else I would still be happy because I would still have him in some form, which is odd because he would be closer with someone else than me????

I mean i haven't actually crushed on anyone at college like this, he is my first. Like i said we just clicked haha. In terms of more evidence on his part he gets very jealous as well, when his housemate (who is a guy) said I'm getting married to him etc etc (as a jk) he got very defensive. Okay my friend was drunk hence why his reaction was probably exaggerated haha. Also when I mention doing things with other friends (when he is sober) he kinda goes quiet and zones out, especially when people come up to me and talk to me. He isn't really that feely with other guys i have seen him with but tbh i haven't met all his friends. Like i said about two weeks into us being friends and he blew me off on my bday, i called him out on being a shit friend and what not. He later then said that arguing with me then was as painful as arguing with his ex who he had been with for years. I also told him when i was coming home i wanted a break from people and i might not be responsive until we go back to college and he had said that would of killed him and he would of got me to talk to him before January.

I would say as well we found out we are going on the same field course as well this year and he was like I'm so happy you will be with me. He is also going to Europe for a bit with his course and he really wants me to go with him earlier??? He also said he can't imagine not talking to me everyday ahah. it just confuses me because I'm like we are this close and he probably can't even remember my mum's name (hence why I'm like how close are we gonna be once the year goes on and we actually know each other).

Thanks man, wishing you too a Happy New Year for you and your loved ones :slight_smile:

11. Sky123

Thanks again Quantumreality- I'm glad the holidays have been kind to you :slight_smile:

I think the deeper issues are me being scared to commit to a person. I am normally the rational one, people come to for advice and well love isn't rational what so ever hahah. The fear of being burnt obviously weighs heavily on my mind as well but I know that this is inevitable when it comes to relationships in any form. I think also when it comes to my friend, I think we both are holding onto one another because we have both had that moment of omg where have you been all my life after such a short period of time and I don't want to lose him

Have I had sexual thoughts about him? I have if I'm honest but I think that has derived from such a strong bond we have. The emotional side is so weird though, because if he got with someone else I would still be happy because I would still have him in some form, which is odd because he would be closer with someone else than me????

I mean i haven't actually crushed on anyone at college like this, he is my first. Like i said we just clicked haha. In terms of more evidence on his part he gets very jealous as well, when his housemate (who is a guy) said I'm getting married to him etc etc (as a jk) he got very defensive. Okay my friend was drunk hence why his reaction was probably exaggerated haha. Also when I mention doing things with other friends (when he is sober) he kinda goes quiet and zones out, especially when people come up to me and talk to me. He isn't really that feely with other guys i have seen him with but tbh i haven't met all his friends. Like i said about two weeks into us being friends and he blew me off on my bday, i called him out on being a shit friend and what not. He later then said that arguing with me then was as painful as arguing with his ex who he had been with for years. I also told him when i was coming home i wanted a break from people and i might not be responsive until we go back to college and he had said that would of killed him and he would of got me to talk to him before January.

I would say as well we found out we are going on the same field course as well this year and he was like I'm so happy you will be with me. He is also going to Europe for a bit with his course and he really wants me to go with him earlier??? He also said he can't imagine not talking to me everyday ahah. it just confuses me because I'm like we are this close and he probably can't even remember my mum's name (hence why I'm like how close are we gonna be once the year goes on and we actually know each other).

Thanks man, wishing you too a Happy New Year for you and your loved ones :slight_smile:

12. WarmEmbrace

This above is solid advice. Face your fear and talk with him :slight_smile:. Or if you don't do it, make sure you are not doing it for the right reasons: Because you want to focus of your studies, and/or because you don't really want it, and not just avoiding it because of fear :slight_smile:.

13. Sky123

Just seen your post, thanks for the advice warmembrace

If i'm honest I think the reason why this situation has me so stumped is because I haven't had a crush in 5 years. I've probably only had 6 my entire life and i'm in my twenties, so it's bit overwhelming for me. I don't know why but I feel something could be there with time?? I dunno it's odd. I just hate the whole him having booty calls and stuff, even though I have no right to say anything.

I think I honestly might have to be a tad harsh and go a week without responding to him. I tried doing it after advice was given to me on here but I felt bad for not saying at the very least happy new years. Tonight I was a bit bad and did stir the pot a little by saying how I had plans to drop out of college and travel, just to see his reaction and give me a better feeling on where we are at. He was kinda mortified and kept on saying don't leave me etc and I said I would tell him what I was doing in the first couple of weeks in Jan. He didn't respond to that message and has been offline for a couple of hours now

I felt really bad for doing this but I feel like I needed some clarity. I think i'm very emotionally immature when it comes to relationships and I just feel like every person I like just doesn't reciprocate my feelings. I'm not gonna moan too much, I have many positives in my life, it's just such an annoyance trying to figure out if A) he actually could like a guy B) am I the exception and does he like me C) has not seem interested because I haven't given him much to feed off of???? Sorry again haha