1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic Teacher

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by iliketolift1, Jan 2, 2017.

1. iliketolift1

A laundry room. Pretty happy here. I think...
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys,

To begin this story, I am in a school where I am forced to take religious studies (islamic in particular). To help this I am an atheist so I cant find reason in what she says. But the real problem is that my teacher is absolutely insane and homophobic . Although i'm not out and wont be coming out to my school mates or teachers at anytime as its not safe for me to do so, she constantly picks on me and says hurtful things about the LGBT community because i don't actively participate in class. Every lesson I have with her lowers my faith in humanity a little bit. Im not usually a emotional person at all ( I cant even remember the last time i've cried or gotten upset about something) but this time her comments just got to me and i went home and cried about it. She was trying to justify the Orlando Shooting, saying the innocent people that died deserved it due to who they loved... For me this was the last straw. I often try to block out her comments and tell my self that she's just brainwashed and its not her fault she says these hurtful things. I don't have a problem with people practicing their religion until it starts to effect others. Im at my wits end and cant tell anyone about it. Its also really upsetting that the class seems to agree with her on these things. I don't want my friends to hate me like she does :icon_redf. I told my mom about the other things she says not related to the homophobic comments as she has a violent personality and often has outbursts and takes it on the class; degrading them and making fun of them. I will be reporting her today to school officials and will hopefully be moved from her class although leaving the subject all together is out of the question. Luckily my parents are taking concern in her behavior as well and are helping me to get her evaluated by the people who hired her.

This is more of a vent than a question, though it would be interesting to hear if anyone has any similar stories regarding bigoted people in general and how they dealt with it. She just makes me feel really bad about my self in lesson and it ruins my whole day. Anyone still in or was in this situation fell free to add to this thread!

2. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Boy do I have stories of dealing with bigoted people. My mother said the same thing about Orlando. No I am not out of the closet to anyone.

I really hope you can get transferred from her class. Just know you can not control how others think, only how you respond. I am glad your family is reporting her to get her evaluated. Just keep reminded yourself, she is the problem not you and that not every person is so close-minded. The last is easy to forget when you deal with this attitude every day from her.

Best wishes and keep your head up!

3. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for the kind words, they mean a lot to me. I cant wait to get out of this school, less than half a year to go now! For now all I can do is make sure to keep a cool head when she says these things. I just don't get how someone can hate someone for who they love. I cant comprehend it. I'll keep in mind that i'm not the problem, like you said I often forget that but i'm working on it :slight_smile:.

4. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just wanted to give a quick update.

So my parents got in touch with my head of year and I'm getting moved from that class! Im so excited! I have to go talk to my head of year tomorrow, the school is really concerned about the teacher's behavior and hopefully some action will be taken to get her evaluated and perhaps even let go. I'm happy that some of the negativity and prejudice in my life is going being combated and this is just one step closer for me to be confident enough to come out to more people. Her actions were really keeping me down and making me feel bad about myself. A big thank you bunnydee for the kind words.

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's excellent news, iliketolift1!:thumbsup:

More power to you!

Stay strong!:slight_smile:

6. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Quantumreality! :slight_smile:

Today has been a good day!

7. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Oh I am so happy for you! (!)
    It is so difficult dealing with people like that. Unfortunately you will most likely run into many just like that through out your life. You just have to always remind yourself - It is their issue and nothing to do with you. It is not a reflection on your worth or who you are. So glad the school is taking this seriously.
    I hope you have nothing but better days ahead.

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2017 at 02:18 PM ----------

(*hug*)

8. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks bunnydee, for the advise and the kindness :slight_smile:. I'll make sure to stay true to myself and not let others get me down.

9. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm happy you are getting a chance to get away from a teacher who isn't doing you any good. It sucks when kids have to deal with teachers who are harmful rather than helpful. For me, high school in particular was one of the worst things I've ever experienced, I really, really hated it. Some teachers did not make it any easier! It sounds like your teacher wasn't doing any good for you at all!

10. killswitch0029

Glad to see you're getting out of this situation. As someone who is seeking a profession in teaching myself, it's disgusting that a teacher would behave this way. Regardless of her views on certain groups of people, it's unethical and unprofessional as a teacher to say such things in a classroom/try to get people to agree with them. Hopefully this bitch gets canned so no one else has to deal with her.

11. iliketolift1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hopefully killswitch, her constant harassment in the lessons was getting old. Her attitude on top of GCSEs were really getting me down. I talked to the head of year and apparently she's been spreading the same shit stories and ideaologies to little kids in like year 5 and 6 so she's probably going to get sacked. I'm pretty happy with who I am and don't feel inssecure about my sexuality but I'm sure a few kids in my class do so if she was making me question my self I can only wonder how they felt. Cool that you are seeking out a profession in teaching! I truly believe it's one of the highest callings. I'm sure your students will be lucky to have you in the future. Thank you katomic, I honestly hate high school but as I am in British curriculum I'm almost finished with it. I just have to make this final push through GCSEs. Then once I'm done I'll be moving to a new hopefully more accepting 6th form. Like I said I'm just so confused on how someone can hate someone for their sexuality. I guess it's just one of those things I'll never understand. Anyway thank you guys for your support. Knowing I have so many people to talk to that will support me makes me feel great! I just wish I had joined this forum much sooner!