1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you do if someone you know tried to commit suicide?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by thewizard, Jan 6, 2017.

1. thewizard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have no idea what to do. Last night my sister tried to commit suicide, but luckily she lived. I hardly know what happened, and I don't know what to say to her to let her know I'm here for her.

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Support them. Give comfort if you can. Maybe even hold off on communicating if she's in a place where she can't give a good response. Just depends on what she wants to hear.

The only thing I wouldn't suggest is to shame a suicidal person or to call them selfish, since it can make the problem worse. Support is always the first step.

3. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell her you love her. Definitely give her some comfort in a way you know how she will understand. Try to remind her about the good times, and focus on that. Having a hearfelt conversation with her is important. I know there's a bit of anger that might leak out, but you can't fault her entirely.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good advice so far. This is a difficult topic, and has to be incredibly upsetting, scary, and difficult for you as well.

One of the best gifts you can give your sister is empathy. And that isn't easy.

To do that, you have to be able to go inside yourself to the deepest, darkest, most painful part of yourself and your experience, and think of a time when you felt like everything was miserable and intolerable. That's what your sister felt when she made the decision she did.

Now... think about what that must have felt like, for your sister, to be in that place. It's lonely, empty, and depressing. Depression, in the words of one of my amazing professors, is the inability to craft a future.

Once you understand what she was feeling comes the tricky part: Each of us, when we're in that deep, dark place, might want something different. Some of us want to be held. Others want someone to listen to us. Still others might want us to sit next to them in silence, but just to know that our friend or family is there. And still others might want those around us to talk with us, or distract us, or take us to the movies, or whatever.

But you can't know if you don't ask. And the problem with suicide attempts is... most of us are scared to death to talk about it. We're afraid we'll make it worse. (The reality is, that's rarely the case.)

So the best thing you can do is talk to her. I've said things like "I know you must be in a pretty dark place. I'm not sure I can fully understand it, but I'd like to try, and if you're willing, I'd like to be present with you in that dark place, so that we can work together to find the way out." That will often start the conversation.

You can also say "I'm not sure exactly what's the best way I can help right now, but I'm glad we're spending time together, and I want you to know how much I love you and appreciate you." You can also say "If there's anything you want to share, I'm here, and I won't judge. And if you don't feel like talking, that's fine too."

Don't make it about you and how it made you feel... suicidal people feel isolated and alone, so the conversation should focus on connection. And follow her lead in asking what she needs before hugging or touching or spending too much time with her... It's fine to ask if you could hug or hold her, but honor whatever her response is.

5. thewizard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for the advice. I'm going to visit her tomorrow, and I'll try to keep all of this in mind.

6. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try to comfort her, spend time with her and make her happy and let her know that you love her. This is probably very hard for you, I know... a good friend of mine committed suicide earlier last year and I had personally stopped him at least one time before. It's devastating and extremely overwhelming trying to help someone through that. It's normal to have no clue what to do, it's not a common situation. Just do what you feel is right and above all try to make sure they know they can talk to you any time if they need to vent and make sure they know you care for them.